Honored Contributor

Re: I Long For The Original Diamonique

@decaf wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@decaf wrote:

I have old and newer pieces, in sterling, Epiphany and 14K. I think the older stones look more like real diamonds because the stones were cut better.  I just sold most of my DMQ pieces set in 14K a few months ago  I think its the Epiphany platinum clad that are super shiny, not the plain, unplated sterling. 

@Sapphiregal  I sure hope you can find that L Williams tennis bracelet.

@decaf   Platinum is used for real diamond settings becuase it has more of a greyish, less shin@y look. It's also stronger than silver. The shine of silver takes away from the shine of any faceted stone whether it's Diamonique or diamonds.

• @Shanus   I prefer Diamonique pieces, especially ring and bracelets, set in plain sterling, not platinum plated or clad because the plating eventually wears off.  They pieces are not valuable enough to invest money to replate them.  I buy and wear them just because I like them, not to fool anyone into thinking they're real diamonds. Actually my feelings about plated sterling go for all my sterling pieces, not just diamonique.  And It's getting much harder everywhere to find sterling that's not rhodium plated.

@decaf  I switch out my diamonds (wedding set and studs) for my Diamonique set in platinum clad, because I've been able to attain dupes. I wear the Diamonique on vacation or when I feel I may lose my real diamonds...switch out my studs at hair salon, etc. The ring I wear (the 4 ct. oval is so close to my enagement ring, no one questions whether it's the real deala or the Diamonique. The same is true for my earrings. I'm not fooling anyone unless I were to purchase the huge rings and 8 ct. earrings. 

I do have to say that the amount of metal used in the settings today is much less metal than many years ago. To sell the silver, even the gold settings, there's not a lot of money to be had unless you have mnay pieces and then it's still minimal. When I purchase Diamonique, it's not as an investment.

***I have platinum clad pieces from 20 years ago and some purchased within the last 5 years and none of the metal has pitted or been damaged in any way. I don't wear my rings around the house...only going out.... the same with my earrings. I don't put on my jewelry until after getting dressed,  so not subjected to perfumes, hair styling products or hair spray. Most do contain alcohol and silicones which may compromise a clad setting and cloud the stones.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  I hear what you're saying.. Maybe I'm harder on my jewelry than some.  I had one Epiphany clad ring I bought about 15-20 years ago that I just loved.  It had a lot of silver, the band was wide and the clad started wearing away on the back side. The same happened with an Epihany bracelet, also gold plated sterling earrings and necklace from QVC.  It just makes me sad when pieces I love don't last.

I don't believe in buying things and saving them for special occasions. So now I try to just buy plain sterling.  I actuallly like the look of sterling.  I guess it all comes down to personal preference..  Thankfully I bought a very large Lori Grenier silver safekeeper when QVC sold them.   I even add extra 3M silver protector stips inside because I live right near salt water and this climate causes silver to tarnish much more quickly.  

Super Contributor

@tarytoo  So agree about older DMQ items. All of my items, mostly rings, from several years ago look like the real thing. Could be the cut but for sure it simply is that they look like something I would wear. Stones not too big, interesting settings, and white gold which is my preference. I can't wear silver and can't afford gold right now so I do like the platinum clad and have many pieces that are several years old and the platinum looks just as good as when new.

I think the designers are trying to make up for the fact that so many people are unable to afford gold now so they use settings with oversized stones which for some can look like costume jewelry. For those that like them, will wear them and their family/friends know they can afford the big stones, it's great. Just not for me.

Occasional Visitor

In addition to the dull stones, the sterling silver clad jewelry looks cheap and does not sparkle. The whole presentation looks cheap. They have cut corners with the production in order to offer a lower price item, but the end result is cheap.

Respected Contributor

When I want some new (to me) diamonique I just do a "vintage qvc diamonique" search on ebay and I'm off to the races.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@decaf wrote:

I have old and newer pieces, in sterling, Epiphany and 14K. I think the older stones look more like real diamonds because the stones were cut better.  I just sold most of my DMQ pieces set in 14K a few months ago  I think its the Epiphany platinum clad that are super shiny, not the plain, unplated sterling. 

@Sapphiregal  I sure hope you can find that L Williams tennis bracelet.

I had 1 epiphany ring and the plating failed I was very disappointed so I actually prefer sterling, even tho the platinum is a better look but once it pits the ring is trash 

Me too I tossed it

with sterling easy to polish up like new 

Respected Contributor

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love and agree with your tag line even though I'm a cat persion. I wish I could have a big, goofy, loveable German Shepherd.

Respected Contributor

ITA - the newer pieces look like cheap junk.  I have so many of the older pieces and I am telling you, next to my real diamonds you cannot telll the difference.  I wear an eternity band next to my real wedding band (from the store with the blue box) and they look exactly the same.  I think the problem is with the 100 facet pieces.  Those were the only ones I returned as they looked so fake.  I miss a lot of things about the old QVC but I love their diamonique and wish they would not keep showing the 100 facet cut.

Honored Contributor

I have several of the "old" Diamonique pieces set in 14k gold, and of all of them, I've only had one that got cloudy.

They were all treated as roughly as each other, and I wore them all for years before I retired.

I still love Diamonique.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My last DMQ purchases were the click-lock inside-out hoops. I got them in the little huggies and also the 1-inch size. They are well made and have good weight to them. I think they look like real diamonds b/c of the size of the small stones...believable carat weights which could pass for real on me with my lifestyle. 

I don't have many older DMQ pieces. Just a few pairs of studs. So I don't have much to compare with.

I also bought the huggie size hoops. While the stones are very tiny, the earrings look like what I would wear in real diamonds if I had the money. As you said, well made and substantial for a tiny hoop. 

Harmonize the World