Honored Contributor

Re: I Long For The Original Diamonique

@decaf wrote:

I have old and newer pieces, in sterling, Epiphany and 14K. I think the older stones look more like real diamonds because the stones were cut better.  I just sold most of my DMQ pieces set in 14K a few months ago  I think its the Epiphany platinum clad that are super shiny, not the plain, unplated sterling. 

@Sapphiregal  I sure hope you can find that L Williams tennis bracelet.

I had 1 epiphany ring and the plating failed I was very disappointed so I actually prefer sterling, even tho the platinum is a better look but once it pits the ring is trash 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

This cleaner is the best thing I've used on my CZs. So easy to use and it makes the stones look like new.  The brush tip gets into the backs of the stones where the dirt hangs out and cleans it out nicely. Amazon sells a set of 3 pens for about $15.

QFC - Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stik, 1 ct

@SilleeMee   Good Sunday morning. I've used Dawn on most of my Diamonique and real diamonds. It cuts grease/grime and when used with a tooth brush, it's a great cleaner.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I agree. Dawn works great. I have an old sonic toothbrush, an inexpensive one I got years ago, and I use it to clean some of my jewelry. The 'sonic' part is far too weak to loosen anything on the jewelry, not like a typical sonic cleaner,  so it works nicely with Dawn!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

I have old and newer pieces, in sterling, Epiphany and 14K. I think the older stones look more like real diamonds because the stones were cut better.  I just sold most of my DMQ pieces set in 14K a few months ago  I think its the Epiphany platinum clad that are super shiny, not the plain, unplated sterling. 

@decaf   Platinum is used for real diamond settings becuase it has more of a greyish, less shiny look. It's also stronger than silver. The shine of silver takes away from the shine of any faceted stone whether it's Diamonique or diamonds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I agree. Dawn works great. I have an old sonic toothbrush, an inexpensive one I got years ago, and I use it to clean some of my jewelry. The 'sonic' part is far too weak to loosen anything on the jewelry, not like a typical sonic cleaner,  so it works nicely with Dawn!

@SilleeMee   I'm fortunate to own a professional sonic jewelry cleaner in my studio. I can lower the basket of several pieces into the liquid and jewelry comes out sparkling.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Platinum prongs don't wear away like gold or silver does...right? That's one reason why many high-quality diamonds, and other high-quality gems, are set in that metal.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

Platinum prongs don't wear away like gold or silver does...right? That's one reason why many high-quality diamonds, and other high-quality gems, are set in that metal.

@SilleeMee   Platinum is dtronger than gold. Even the best settings in gold should have platinum prongs to protect and hold the stone securely. 

Valued Contributor

I agree so much  I have tried 5 times and it is junk The yellow goes away in days,  they scratch you if you touch your face and it looks like junk

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@decaf   Platinum is used for real diamond settings becuase it has more of a greyish, less shin@y look. It's also stronger than silver. The shine of silver takes away from the shine of any faceted stone whether it's Diamonique or diamonds.

• @Shanus   I prefer Diamonique pieces, especially ring and bracelets, set in plain sterling, not platinum plated or clad because the plating eventually wears off.  They pieces are not valuable enough to invest money to replate them.  I buy and wear them just because I like them, not to fool anyone into thinking they're real diamonds. Actually my feelings about plated sterling go for all my sterling pieces, not just diamonique.  And It's getting much harder everywhere to find sterling that's not rhodium plated.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My diamonique rings , silver or gold from years ago look like the REAL deal, hands down. Jewelers have dared to question me when I've told them they are faux. Back then the Q made the rings with unique designs, believeable carat weights and real gold/silver. They still look great 30 years later. You are right that many of the NEW rings look like they came out of a GUMBALL machine. Too many. They disappoint up close and personal.  Metals too shiny, stones too big, overall weight of metal too thin, cuts too far-out, etc. In the past few years I've RETURNED more of the NEW Diamonique than kept it. However, with that being said, there have been some real stand out pieces among the NEW stuff that bring to mind the style and flair of the past ones.  And have that sparkle and shine that makes them look as close to real as you can get. I do not know if these are still in stock.  A snowflake pendant J358746 (sold out sorry). A Pear ring with baquettes J369322. Or this Diamonique oval band, which is a personal favorite J368425. Hope you can sift through the bad and find the good Diamonique pieces. They are out there, I promise you. But are few and far between.