Respected Contributor

Re: Hubby died; Tips on selling old QVC jewelry?

@NorskyGal ...PS  you might try some jewelry stores when things open up

Trusted Contributor

so sorry for your loss

Don't sell your jewelry - pawn it.  I just saw a nice ad from a family owned pawn shop here in Chicago that said if you need cash they are there for you.  I never went to a pawn shop but did have a relative that frequented it often.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

SeaMaiden, she wants $$ for the jewelry.

Honored Contributor

ceberg: You are correct!

Super Contributor

I will be in the same spot you are when my husband passes. i am sorry for your loss. somebody told me to try to sell stuff on Poshmark. I don't know anything about it. so you would have to check them out. i wish you well as you embark on this task. 

Valued Contributor

I lost my husband several years ago and after things settled down I too decided I did not need or want so much jewelry.  I sent much of it to a local auction and it is a good way to wash your hands of problems with selling online from home.  You pay a certain amount for the service but you also get your money fast and in one lump sum.  Setting up a shop on Etsy might also work but cash will come in slowly if something sells.  

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry for the loss of your husband.

If you don't want to spend all the time selling on ebay you might think about selling a group of items as a Lot, such as a certain brand name or designer name.  Other sellers purchase Lots to resell by the piece.  I am thinking about doing this also. 

I would also wait until our country gets back to business again.  I don't think people are shopping jewelry much on ebay right now, but it will pick up again as it did after 9/11. 

Occasional Contributor

If you could locate a precious metal refining company near you,  you would probably get the best prices for gold or silver there.

I've sold my jewelry to a local company and I was thrilled with the prices and how fast I got my check.

Trusted Contributor

@NorskyGal I am in a similar situation except these are items my mother owned (see my thread "Older QVC jewelry compared to new") in this forum.

My research showed that compared to what my mother paid, the amount I would receive selling them would be pennies on the dollar...if that. Ebay is filled with QVC items all for CHEAP prices. Unless it's a collector looking for a specific item and then willing to pay what you want, items aren't bringing in money unless they are 14K, 18K and have some NICE/rare stones.  I'm donating all her Joan Rivers items to Goodwill as well as her QVC "collection" (Jackie Kennedy, for example) items. The larger, heavier silver items I'll sell to a place that buys silver and gold. The heavy gold items I'm holding on to in the event I want to melt them down to make other pieces with the stones from my own collection or with the stones they hold; if the settings bring in money, I'll sell them as is and keep the stones. 

The reality is with COVID, it's either doing this via the mail or sitting on it. Add in the fact that people are hurting for money so "fun" spending isn't high right now, what I can get selling them isn't going to be much, if at all. If you need to unload them quickly, I would contact a "we buy silver and gold" and see what they'll give you. You can always refuse their offer and have the items returned to you. Good luck and hugs.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

So sorry for your loss.

My mom went into an assisted living and she had some fine jewelry. We went to a local jeweler and sold her items plus my hubbys and mine high school class rings. Granted you may not get what you expect, but it is the quickest and hassle free way to receive cash on the spot. We were pleased with the cash we received.