Valued Contributor

Re: Howlite: Thoughts about this gem.

lol . some of them feel like plastic

Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:
  • image.pngMy faceted howlite earrings set in Sterling silver. I got them on Etsy. I love them. I will plan to get more non-dyed howlite pieces.

Those earrings are pretty and they look very well made.  The silver is impressive.  Nice.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@sunshine 919 : Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:

@SilleeMee : LOL! I noticed that!  ShopLC uses the Zachery treatment for the turquoise, according to the website. But let's stay in topic. I don't want to talk too much about turquoise in a thread about howlite.

Do you own any howlite pieces?

I do own Howlite pieces. But all of it is dyed, mostly in red to mimic red coral.

Honored Contributor

Howlite a gem?  That's the first I've heard it called a gemstone.  It's no more a gem than a hunk of clay is a gem.  It's useless and is sold by the dump truck load.  It would never have cone to our attention if it didn't have a matrix that slightly resembles that of turquoise.  It's chalky texture makes it easy to dye, hence counterfeit turquoise.   I don't want it under my roof, much less my jewelry box.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The only reason I like howlite is because there's not enough jewlelry done with white agate, a favorite of mine.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Howlite a gem?  That's the first I've heard it called a gemstone.  It's no more a gem than a hunk of clay is a gem.  It's useless and is sold by the dump truck load.  It would never have cone to our attention if it didn't have a matrix that slightly resembles that of turquoise.  It's chalky texture makes it easy to dye, hence counterfeit turquoise.   I don't want it under my roof, much less my jewelry box.

Wow tell us how you really feel. lol

Super Contributor

@sunshine 919 : Yes. You are right. And don't buy useless things. If Howlite, was useless like Kachina624 it won't be considered a gem, nor as an imitator of more expensive gems.

The white buffalo stone is really Howlite and it is not cheap.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 @Well, it is. If Howlite was garbage, the miners would not bother to take out the stone. Or put it in a precious metal like Sterling Silver. And I don't buy garbage. 😡 Nor the seller that worked hard to make a piece of jewelry using this gem.

You think the only gemstones are the classic Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald and Diamond. There are more gems that we have not idea they exist. I don't know how old are you, but you need to read more books about gemstones. 

Respected Contributor

Jewelry is an accessory,  bought and worn for pleasure.  It can be valuable or not,  it can be expensive or not.  Each of us gets to decide what is right for us.... both financially and in terms of the benefit (pleasure) we derive from owning and wear a particular item.  How long an item will last,  does it have an 'intrinsic' value, etc. are factors to consider,  but not the only things that go into making a decision.

When someone asks a question about a particular item or stone,  I try to provide information so that they can make the best decision for themselves.   What might make sense, or be right or wrong for me, or work with my finances or life style,  are not the issue.   Some posters will comment on whether they like an item and  others will provide info based on their prior experiences.

There are a lot of voices today that are encouraging a move to classics and away from disposable or fast fashion.  The trends are swinging away from collecting and toward minimalism.... for financial and for environmental reasons.  It's not that these are new ideas,  but they are getting much more notice now.   Maybe they will help balance out the pressures to buy the latest item or things with designer names. 

Gather your information and make the decision that is right for you.  There is no need to defend your position... it's your right to make decisions for yourself.  The rest of us don't know anything about your financial situation.  I could create any number of possible examples to explain why someone should or should not buy a particular item.  But I think it's more helpful to provide what ever information and facts I have so that they can make the decision that works for them. 

Hopefully everyone will evaluate all the considerations and make educated choices.   I know that I've learned more over the years and would make different choices today than I did years ago.  Smiley Happy  And I bet I still make a few bad choices,  hopefully really small ones.