Valued Contributor

How is a bangle or cuff supposed to fit?

Can it fall below the wrist bone about 1 1/2" or is it made to fit above the wrist bone?

Does it naturally turn around upside down?

Respected Contributor

Re: How is a bangle or cuff supposed to fit?

Bangle bracelets are meant to be worn loosely. Whereas, a cuff bracelet should fit closely around the wrist.

Trusted Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

Bangle bracelets are meant to be worn loosely. Whereas, a cuff bracelet should fit closely around the wrist.

Couldn't have said it better. Exactly right.

Cuffs are meant to be cuffs, surrounding the wrist in place. Bangles should dangle. 

Honored Contributor

The thicker cuffs (which used to be just a heavy bangle) do tend to twist on me.  An open back is a definate deal breaker for me.  I'd lose it at work and never notice!!!Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I love bangles but don't love cuffs.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mia 2 wrote:

Can it fall below the wrist bone about 1 1/2" or is it made to fit above the wrist bone?

Does it naturally turn around upside down?

@mia 2   A cuff should fit snuggly at the thinnest part of your wrist which is usually just above the wrist bone. If it doesn't have the "kickstand" closure for easy on/off, the opening should be wide enough to be able to turn it w/ opening facing your wrist, slide on and pliable enough to squeeze partially closed.

With bangles, mine range from 6 1/2" to 7". I like to wear three to five together w/ my watch. If they're all the same size, they'd all bunch up on top of each other instead of spreading out. The smaller ones fit right next to my watch and the larger ones fit going up my wrist sometimes overlapping to give the casual look I like. 

Bangles can be round that have no opening and hand size has to judged to get bangle to fit over it or ovals w/ a hinged opening. 

Trusted Contributor

A small cuff looks good with a slight drape just past your wrist bone.  I almost typed "ankle bone."  Now that's an interesting look!  Lol.

Honored Contributor

@kze wrote:

A small cuff looks good with a slight drape just past your wrist bone.  I almost typed "ankle bone."  Now that's an interesting look!  Lol.

@kze   IMHO, those are the ones that are most likely to fall off. I've lost a few that fell at that spot and learned the hard way.

Valued Contributor

It should not fall off of your wrist when you put your hand down.  A chain bracelet should not either.  Its a matter of taste in a chain bracelet whether you like a "drop" or not.  I don't like bracelets tight on my wrist.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all of you that answered my questions.  So nice to have all of your help.  The Jai cuff I bought falls below my wrist bone about 1 1/2" so looks like I might be returning it.  (It has a kickstand opening so won't fall off.)  It's the cuff with the hammered silver balls, so it is gorgeous.  Will think on it.