Honored Contributor

Re: How do you compactly package your jewelry for storage in a safe deposit box?

@fthunt   OZ  whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you compactly package your jewelry for storage in a safe deposit box?

[ Edited ]

It's best to put jewelry inside a 'jewelry roll'. That way everything is somewhat compressed into a smaller space rather than using boxes where there is a lot of wasted space. Just get a roll which will fit into a sdb and one which will accommodate your items.

I have a small roll I use for coins, loose stones and some jewelry. That roll is in my sdb.

You can also find jewelry boxes made specifically for sdb on Amazon.

Contributor

to keep necklaces from tangling, thread them through a straw, then you can roll them up in a piece of fabric to keep from scratching.  

Honored Contributor

zip lock bags , gold, cushion between bracelets by bubble wrap, hankerchiefs, gold scratches easy.

those little drawstring bags are good, also

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee @Sweetiekitty   Those are really good ideas!  @CaChica   I would go with the jewelry roll, just be sure it's lined with an anti tarnish material.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@SilleeMee @Sweetiekitty   Those are really good ideas!  @CaChica   I would go with the jewelry roll, just be sure it's lined with an anti tarnish material.

@LindaSal 

I bought some anti-tarnish cloth. I found it 'by-the-yard' and use that to wrap my stuff before I place it in the roll. Works very nicely.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CaChica wrote:

Hi ladies, 

I need advice please regarding getting your jewelry read for storage at the bank.

How do you compactly package your jewelry for storage in a safe deposit box? I find that I have too many jewelry pieces to leave at home while I travel this summer.  I want to store it in a small safety deposit box.I have no knowledge of sizes or prices or length of contract.

I probably have 40 or so precious metal necklaces, how would you wrap them for storage in a safety d. box?  I have many other pieces to 'package' or wrap also.  Do they have something sold somewhere for this purpose but compact.

Thanks for sharing in advance. 

@CaChica   I use a sturdy gift box or shoe box that fits inside the bank's box. Necklaces do best in small ziplock bags with clasped end of chains hanging out of end of bang then zipped closed around them. They don't get tangled. Rings and small items, also in small ziplocks...available at pharmacy areas where pill boxes are kept. Larger pendants, pins, necklaces, bracelets, etc. I put in bubble wrap. Then stack loosely in appropriately sized box. The last few years, I've used several smaller gift boxes just so carrying them in (but mostly out) of bank was less conspicuous. Smaller boxes, about 6"X10" can fit in a tote bag for transport and are about the size of a medium safety deposit box. Hope that helps.

***All pieces are insured w/ appraisal copies at home and with jewelry in boxes. You never know who's watching you coming and going from bank parking lot. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner---like your answers---not so snarky and mean-- OP did not ask a dumb question----if you can't say anything nice----shut your mouth!!!

Super Contributor

The only pieces I keep in a safety deposit box anymore are very valuable diamond necklaces and one bracelet.   Each one has has it's own padded tri-fold box from the jeweler.  You might to look into a blanket jewelry rider  (separate from itemized).  They are not expensive and will cover all pieces appraised under$5,000 each.  If things are lost or stolen at home or travelling, everything is covered. 

I pulled things out of the safety deposit box years ago because if they're not easily accessible I found I wasn't wearing and enjoying them which is the point of jewelry.  Safety Deposit boxes are expensive too and are usually rented by a yearly contract but I think you might be able to get a 6 month contract. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. : )

(I haven't been on the boards in a bit due to a family member loss.)