Respected Contributor

How do you clean bronze jewelry?

I have a bunch of bronze/brass rings that are beautiful but are in dire need of cleaning. I made the mistake of putting it in a silver cleaner now they look funky.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you clean bronze jewelry?

1. Wipe the bronze jewelry with a silver polish cloth.
  2. Apply some mild soap onto the bronze jewelry and rub it.
  3. Hold the jewelry under running water to rinse the soap off.
  4. Gently wipe the water off of the bronze jewelry and dry it using a clean towel.

I got this from google..need to clean some bracelets, so I'll give it a go.....

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

I have a pendant that is bronze and I make a mixture of about 1 tablespoon vinegar and a pinch of salt and then scrub the pendant with the solution with a tooth brush. It makes it shine like new and removes all the tarnish.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if this would also work on tarnished rose gold clad jewelry (sterling underneath). I've tried everything to clean these pieces and nothing seems to work.

Valued Contributor

I purchased a bronze piece from an artisan jewelry maker one time and she told me that the secret to polishing bronze is---KETCHUP!

I have yet to try it, but something about the enzymes works with the bronze. When I do, I'll report back. Mine so far has looked good and there's been no need yet to break out the ketchup.

Honored Contributor

Just be careful with the ketchup.... if the bronze has a top coating on it, the acidity of the ketchup may ruin the top coat.... {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Lots of bronze jewelry has a lacquer coating on it to prevent tarnishing. It gets removed partially with the use of abrasive cleaners and wear & tear. The part that is exposed will tarnish, giving the piece a "blotchy" look. There really is no way to clean up such a piece, making it look like new. Definitely don't use silver polishing cloths, salt or anything abrasive as it'll only make it worse.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The home remedy with the vinegar sounds like a winner but they do sell a bronze cleaner if you want one. I have seen it in the grocery store.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 KatCat1 said:

The home remedy with the vinegar sounds like a winner but they do sell a bronze cleaner if you want one. I have seen it in the grocery store.

what section?

Frequent Contributor

kcladyz, I have always seen it in the section where the Mr.Clean pads are. That is where I get my Weiman Cook Top Cleaner. Also in the same sections usually is the Tarn-x, silver polish, brass polish and also the bronze cleaner. In my grocery stores where I live, S.E. Va., the comet, sos pads, windex and things like that are also in the same section.

Hope this helps.......