Highlighted
Regular Contributor

How do you care for Ultra Fine silver pieces?

I just purchased a bracelet in the Ultra Fine silver & wonder how to care for it. Can it be worn without taking it off & getting it wet? Anyone who has any pieces in this line I would

appreciate some feedback! thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you care for Ultra Fine silver pieces?

It's actually more resistant to tarnishing than sterling silver because it has a different alloy than the normal copper alloy, so you don't need to do anything special.

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

Thanks 2blonde! I hope so...the bracelet is really pretty & guess I can always return it if I don't think so.

Honored Contributor

@Novemberbaby  If you should need to remove body oils or fingerprints, just use a soft silver polishing cloth.  The best is a Sunshine Cloth.  Never use silver polish which is abrasive.   Keep it away from air in a sealed plastic bag. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I have an Ultrafine bracelet that must be 10 years old.  It has not tarnished at all, and looks new to me. No special care needed. 

Honored Contributor

@Novemberbaby wrote:

I just purchased a bracelet in the Ultra Fine silver & wonder how to care for it. Can it be worn without taking it off & getting it wet? Anyone who has any pieces in this line I would

appreciate some feedback! thanks in advance!

@Novemberbaby

I have the Ultrafine panther link watch and 2 pair of oval hoop earrings.   Nothing has really tarnished, but I wipe the watch with a silver polishing cloth every few months, just because.   I'm looking for a new piece (or two) today.  

I'm very happy with this line.

Honored Contributor

Ultrafine is really good. I would also recommend a soft polishing cloth occasionally.  The ring I have from years ago when they first started the line, I don't believe I have ever had to polish.

Of the three bracelets that I have, one is still very bright, the other two are just slightly less bright than they were originally.  They really do tarnish far less than a comparable sterling piece would.

My only slight disappointment is that I've noticed that the pieces are not quite as heavy a weight as the original ones were.  I like weighty, solid pieces.  But I imagine that pretty much all silver pieces being offered are lighter than in the past.  On the positive side, these more recent ones at least seem fairly sturdy, and none have broken or anything.

Super Contributor

I had necklace, and it did tarnish. In Seattle everything tarnish, it is just a matter of few weeks. The necklace was not as solid, as I would liked it to be. It was solid 4 out of 5. The clasp was too thick, and I could not use it for most of my pendants, it was really sad.

Respected Contributor

@alice87 wrote:

I had necklace, and it did tarnish. In Seattle everything tarnish, it is just a matter of few weeks. The necklace was not as solid, as I would liked it to be. It was solid 4 out of 5. The clasp was too thick, and I could not use it for most of my pendants, it was really sad.

@alice87  Humidity is a definite tarnishing problem, so I can see where that would happen in Seattle.  It gets very humid here in NE Ohio too (I'm near Lake Erie), and I have no problems with silver jewelry that has been coated with rhodium or platinum.  Most silver jewelry made today (except for artisan crafted) has that plating.  I also keep most of my jewelry in anti-tarnish boxes.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@alice87. Are you sure it was fine silver which is a few points away from pure silver? Fine silver does not tarnish. That's why I use it for enameling. In the kiln, the high heat can't pull out any other alloys because there aren't any. It's almost pure silver. Check the stamping on the clasp.