Trusted Contributor

How Do You Display Jewelry for a Garage Sale?

Since I am retired I no longer have the need to wear jewelry as frequently and have decided to keep only my quality jewelry.  I have a TON of good quality costume jewelry----rings, earrings, brooches, necklaces-----that I want to sell at a garage sale.  What is a good way to display the jewelry for successful sales?

Thank you for your ideas.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Display Jewelry for a Garage Sale?

@wismiss wrote:

Since I am retired I no longer have the need to wear jewelry as frequently and have decided to keep only my quality jewelry.  I have a TON of good quality costume jewelry----rings, earrings, brooches, necklaces-----that I want to sell at a garage sale.  What is a good way to display the jewelry for successful sales?

Thank you for your ideas.

@wismiss   When I participated in large jewelry shows where other vendors were selling costume jewelry, it was securely pinned to a black velvet fabric. Prices were clearly marked on a tag w/ a string and firmly attached to the pieces.

***Price the pieces a bit higher than you're willing to accept. Everyone wants to "make a deal". That way you eventually get the price you intended.  

Respected Contributor

When I was working I bought quite a bit of silver as well as gold jewelry. No costume jewelry though. However I have sold almost all of my silver, except for a few favorite oieces, on Nextdoor. Now I am going to start in on some of my gold pieces that have a lot of stone presence (all the plain gold is going to US Gold Buyers) Anyway I have had surprisingly good success.

Esteemed Contributor

I always used balck cloth to display my items. Black shows off the detail of the jewelry. 

Valued Contributor

Whatever you do jewelry should not be on a table.  I found several shoppers can block your view and even if pinned they unpin items and they are gone.  I finally took a towel and pinned each piece with a safety pin and a price tag.  The towel was fastened to a hanger and hanger was hooked over a door.  That towel can still have items stolen so you need to be close but at least the items are at eye level and the pieces can be removed if someone needs to try on.  If your sale is very busy it is difficult to control so getting help is a good idea.