Frequent Contributor

Hosts, please use rulers during jewelry shows

QVC, please provide your hosts with rulers when they present jewelry, so we customers at home can get a realistic idea of pieces' measurements. Years ago, the hosts always used rulers to show us how wide bracelets were, length of earrings, etc. and I always felt like I knew what to expect when I got an item home. Some hosts, especially the newer ones, don't give measurements. It's disappointing to open the box and find that a ring that looked sizable on TV is actually tiny. And it only takes a second or two to take measurements on camera.

I would also like to see the hosts give gram weights again - it's nice to know before we buy how much silver or gold we're getting for our money.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts, please use rulers during jewelry shows

@glamwitch   oh, those were the good old days.   what i did was take a 3x5 index card. draw a horizontal and vertical line crossing in the middle. (a big cross) ,  then on the arms put half, quarter, and 1 inch increments.  then when the host gives you a measurement on something you can really visualize it better.  i remember also putting a circle in the middle (also for visual reference)  

Valued Contributor

Oh wow! I forgot all about how hosts used to use rules to show the sizes of the pieces. Antonella was the last host I saw do that consistently and even she has stopped doing it. I wonder why.....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glamwitch wrote:

QVC, please provide your hosts with rulers when they present jewelry, so we customers at home can get a realistic idea of pieces' measurements. Years ago, the hosts always used rulers to show us how wide bracelets were, length of earrings, etc. and I always felt like I knew what to expect when I got an item home. Some hosts, especially the newer ones, don't give measurements. It's disappointing to open the box and find that a ring that looked sizable on TV is actually tiny. And it only takes a second or two to take measurements on camera.

I would also like to see the hosts give gram weights again - it's nice to know before we buy how much silver or gold we're getting for our money.

Agreed.  I'd also like to see hosts give milimeter sizes and carat weights for all gemstones.  

You can estimate the gold weight given the original Q price.  Their gold prices are through the roof.  For non-brand gold, Q runs about $110-$120 per gram (give or take) at regular Q price.  EG seems to run higher than that but their quality has tanked since Ted left. Yes, I know the price of gold has gone up but see the next paragraph.

I found a retailer that offers great gold jewelry, including some in rose gold, for a lot less per gram.  How can that smaller retailer do that but a huge retailer can't.  Sarraf dotcom's website can be a little frustrating but the products and customer service are great.

Regular Contributor

I hate the rules. For me, the best indicator of size is on the model. How the ring appears on a finger or a necklace on a real neck.
Esteemed Contributor

It seems like the more seasoned hosts still do this; I've seen Jen Coffey, Antonella, and Jane Treacy use rulers in the past few weeks on jewelry shows. But the newer hosts either aren't trained to use rulers or aren't comfortable doing so on air yet, though in some presentations I have at least seen them mention the general sizes of things like rings and pendants. Hopefully, someone will pass along this feedback so we can get more helpful information during all jewelry presentations.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@glamwitch   oh, those were the good old days.   what i did was take a 3x5 index card. draw a horizontal and vertical line crossing in the middle. (a big cross) ,  then on the arms put half, quarter, and 1 inch increments.  then when the host gives you a measurement on something you can really visualize it better.  i remember also putting a circle in the middle (also for visual reference)  

@kittyloo GREAT IDEA!!!!Smiley Happy