Respected Contributor

I am enjoying Jenn Coffey and her love of jewelry as she presents Effy!  It is so interesting to see how hosts develop more and more knowledge about fine jewelry.

The host last night was nice and enthusiastic, but she did not know the difference between blue topaz and peridot, nor how to pronounce tsavorite.  A little bit out of her depth.

Jenn just said--don't just ask for an appraisal, ask how much it will cost to recreate this item.  She learned that catchphrase from Michele Lau!  However, she did not know how to tell the difference between the white sapphires and the diamonds on the first tanzanite ring.

Husband tells me I always know much more than any of the jewelry sales people, and sadly, that is especially true for QVC these days.

I love to watch, but these days I mainly window shop, as prices are overly high.. If you REALLY want to buy Effy, wait for the 65% off sale at Macy's (a few times a year.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Host Fine Jewelry Knowledge

Notice when presenting neither Jen nor the vendor  mention the diamonds in these pieces are I2, industrial quality, highly included. 😳🥺🙄

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper Remember Paul Deasy who at one time was the resident QVC host jewelry expert?  Don't remember if he was good or not but knew that he promoted himself as such.

Rick did lots of presentations in the past, don't watch jewelry shows any longer so not sure if he's still doing them.

Respected Contributor

There was a gem category on that "Jeopardy" tounament and I was able to run that category.  I definitely give QVC and the other shopping channels credit - You do learn from the hosts.

Regular Contributor

As I was checking out the jewelry show today with Jen , I noticed how calm she was in giving the presentation.  And now watching David Venable he too is a professional in any presentation he does.  QVC needs to have just one host presenting at a time.  When there are more than one they scream and interrupt each other and then I change the channel. Especially during the gourmet holiday presen tations yesterday with Rachel and Alberti, that was a true shouting match for the entire time.

Regular Contributor

Honored Contributor

I remember a novice host who couldn't pronounce it so she kept spelling C-h-a-l-c-e-d-o-n-y throughout her presentation. Chalcedony.  That was pathetic.

I wonder if these people know dictionaries have pronounciations as do co-workers

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

She has no knowledge of jewelry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Notice when presenting neither Jen nor the vendor  mention the diamonds in these pieces are I2, industrial quality, highly included. 😳🥺🙄

But, but - the carat weight 😂 

Trusted Contributor

She knows diddly squat about jewelry.  All her knowledge comes from her card.  I don't believe that there is a single host on QVC who has any type of jewelry accreditation.