Trusted Contributor

Honora rocker clasp convert to lobster claw??

I've seen quite a few Honora necklaces that I would like to buy but won't because of the rocker clasp. I can't wear a necklace any shorter than 24" so I need to add an extender to be able to wear an 18" or 20" necklace. Usually I just buy an inexpensive sterling silver link bracelet with a lobster claw clasp and hook it on to my Honora necklace at whatever length I need.

I am wondering if there is such an animal as a converter from the rocker clasp to the lobster claw clasp, or if I would just have to take it to a jeweler to do this? If a jeweler is required, how much do you think it would cost (including the price of a new lobster claw clasp)?

Super Contributor

Re: Honora rocker clasp convert to lobster claw??

aprimo, I have never seen an actual converter for the rocker clasp to a lobster claw or spring ring type of clasp. I would like one of those as well! As much as I like the rocker clasp, I like to extend my necklaces at times for layering, or to work better with the neckline of the top I'm wearing, and with those you can't.

You might try contacting Honora directly and asking them what they'd charge to put on a different clasp. Otherwise I think I'd call around or take it in to a couple different jewelers and get their prices to compare them.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A local bead store might be able to change the clasp for a lesser cost than going to a jeweler. From the pics of the rocker clasp it looks like instead of restringing the whole piece you could cut the clasp off with heavy duty side cutters, add jump rings and replace the clasp. They can be bought at a local bead shop or online. There are sterling silver, 14K (very expensive), 14K gold-filled as well as many plated clasps and jumprings.

I make beaded jewelry so this would be an easy fix for me because I have the tools. Which is why I suggested going to a bead store to get the work done. Jewelry stores tend to charge top dollar for repairs or switches like this. Bead stores generally charge less.

A lobster claw won't add much length. Even adding a few jumprings won't. You would still have to use whatever extenders you have unless you want these items restrung to add sterling beads or whatever at the ends to make the length longer.

You can buy jumprings and a lobster claw for less than $5. Who knows what a jewelry store would charge. A bead store might even do it for nothing or a very small fee if you bought the items from them.

Honored Contributor

A bead store. What a good idea. My jeweler charges $35.00 for changes such as this. And exactly what is a rocker clasp?

Super Contributor

hi depglass, this is an Honora rocker clasp. They're very secure, but do not work with normal extenders. What I've done if I have to have it longer, is to use an extender with a lobster claw on each end, and fasten it behind the clasp pieces if I can, otherwise after the farthest back pearls. Not great, but it works. I make most of my own extenders from findings from the local hobby stores.