Super Contributor

Re: Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

On 4/17/2014 wowee said:
On 4/16/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/16/2014 wowee said:

No one is bad mouthing Honora.

Oh. I didn't know "cheap" is now a compliment.

CHEAP was refering to SOME of the latest offerings. ONLY, NOT THE WHOLE LINE...We do so many on here feel the need to twist words around?

Did you read the original post? There's nothing to twist. "Cheap" "swap meet" "another brand bites the dust" -- seems pretty clear to me.

Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 panz said:

Am I the only one that feels Honora is going down a new path? "Bronze" metal, colored "crystals", low quality "ringed" pearls dyed Easter egg colors - I see this type of merchandise at our local swap meet (made in Korea) being sold to tourists (I live in Hawaii)

I remember when the Honora name stood for quality, classic (think Jackie and twin-sets) pearl jewelry.

Honestly ladies - these types of pieces sell for $5 at my swap meet! Another brand bites the dust IMO.

I'm not sure what you're talking about ..... what or where is the "spoiler" you stated? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Trusted Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Pagan said:

I rather like the idea of ladies fighting with pearls.

We could load them in pop guns and fire them at each other.

We could arm ourselves with mings and declare war on the People's Republic of Ripka.

{#emotions_dlg.wub} I admit it Pagan, you made me laugh.

Do the math.
Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 jetts_mom said:

Honora has expanded what they do to appeal to a broader audience. They still have $30,000 strands if that is what you want. There are some very classic, and more costly pieces on Q, but also the fun, fashion designs that appeal both aesthetically and financially to others. Honora has different offerings for the different segments of their markets - jewelers, dept. stores (and different grades within those) and QVC.

I don't think the problem is not so much that you don't seem to care for what you see for Honora's products on the Q, but how you said it and the inference that those who might enjoy it are inferior.

Also, I notice you're in Hawaii. I would imagine there are a lot more, and diverse pearls readily available than there are to those of us on the mainland.

I agree. Just to add, Honora offers so much. If you look at pieces under 100 dollars range on qvc, it would be hard to say anything is ever good enough. But the Honora has some delighful pieces, and prices will reflect that. Good pearls are never cheap, even with all the modern technologies. Everybody wants to get paid, the farmer, the vendor, and the selling company.

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 smarty said:
On 4/15/2014 wowee said:

You were not offensive OP..Ringed and "keshi" pearls have ALWAYS been known as the "trash" pearls, they generally could only be sold to the low end buyersor crushed and used in cosmetics. However, thanks to QVC and Honora, they have now become somewhat of a "great find" new and refreshing to the QVC buyer. I do not know if Honora markets these at other retailers or not, AND to those who buy, if you like them, you like them. Nothing worng with that, but YES, they HAVE always been the "trash and seconds" of the pearl market.

Known to who as "trash pearls"? Clearly not Tiffinay's. Keshi and baroque pearls have been sold by high end jewelry retailers for YEARS...well before Honora and QVC came along. While they are definitely not for everyone, many...including me...find the unique nature of a baroque pearl enchanting and gorgeous. Yes there are differences in quality, and price point should be a good indication of that. To call these pearls "trash and seconds" implies that a second has the same value as trash; and that all baroques and keshis fall into a valueless category. While the perfect round pearl may be considered the first in quality, the "second" or more accurately called by-product of the production is the baroque, keshi and other irregular pearls. They do indeed have value, and can be more valuable than a lower graded round pearl. I am by no means, an expert on pearls. You should check out the Honora forum pearl cafe discussions.

keshi is one of the most beautiful pearls if you like nacre, and not just shape and size. And unusual. I enjoy fun pieces.

To each it's own.

Super Contributor

I think Honora is using inferior pearls is trying to foist them on the unsuspecting public by dying then, using catchy new labels for lesser-quality stones, etc. I'm not fooled; I haven't bought any in years.

Super Contributor

I thought pearls were for the lady-like. Is it refined and elegant to argue about pearls and insist on having the last word? What time does the mud wrestling start?

I don't understand why the Jewelry forum is rife with misery and arguments.

No one's forcing you to stay and participate.

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 MadameL said:

I thought pearls were for the lady-like. Is it refined and elegant to argue about pearls and insist on having the last word? What time does the mud wrestling start?

I don't understand why the Jewelry forum is rife with misery and arguments. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

So, did you just wake up in a bad mood and decide I make a good target?

Respected Contributor

I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 ennui1 said:
On 5/24/2014 MadameL said:

I don't understand why the Jewelry forum is rife with misery and arguments. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

So, did you just wake up in a bad mood and decide I make a good target?

No. You did that all by yourself with no assistance from anyone.