Respected Contributor

Re: Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

I agree with OP. The pieces are nothing like they used to be. I am glad I bought all I need back in the day. I have a great collection of Honora that i just love.

Super Contributor

You were not offensive OP..Ringed and "keshi" pearls have ALWAYS been known as the "trash" pearls, they generally could only be sold to the low end buyersor crushed and used in cosmetics. However, thanks to QVC and Honora, they have now become somewhat of a "great find" new and refreshing to the QVC buyer. I do not know if Honora markets these at other retailers or not, AND to those who buy, if you like them, you like them. Nothing worng with that, but YES, they HAVE always been the "trash and seconds" of the pearl market.

Super Contributor

On 4/15/2014 wowee said:

You were not offensive OP..Ringed and "keshi" pearls have ALWAYS been known as the "trash" pearls, they generally could only be sold to the low end buyersor crushed and used in cosmetics. However, thanks to QVC and Honora, they have now become somewhat of a "great find" new and refreshing to the QVC buyer. I do not know if Honora markets these at other retailers or not, AND to those who buy, if you like them, you like them. Nothing worng with that, but YES, they HAVE always been the "trash and seconds" of the pearl market.

Known to who as "trash pearls"? Clearly not Tiffinay's. Keshi and baroque pearls have been sold by high end jewelry retailers for YEARS...well before Honora and QVC came along. While they are definitely not for everyone, many...including me...find the unique nature of a baroque pearl enchanting and gorgeous. Yes there are differences in quality, and price point should be a good indication of that. To call these pearls "trash and seconds" implies that a second has the same value as trash; and that all baroques and keshis fall into a valueless category. While the perfect round pearl may be considered the first in quality, the "second" or more accurately called by-product of the production is the baroque, keshi and other irregular pearls. They do indeed have value, and can be more valuable than a lower graded round pearl. I am by no means, an expert on pearls. You should check out the Honora forum pearl cafe discussions.

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 smarty said:
On 4/15/2014 wowee said:

Known to who as "trash pearls"? Clearly not Tiffinay's. Keshi and baroque pearls have been sold by high end jewelry retailers for YEARS...well before Honora and QVC came along. While they are definitely not for everyone, many...including me...find the unique nature of a baroque pearl enchanting and gorgeous. Yes there are differences in quality, and price point should be a good indication of that. To call these pearls "trash and seconds" implies that a second has the same value as trash; and that all baroques and keshis fall into a valueless category. While the perfect round pearl may be considered the first in quality, the "second" or more accurately called by-product of the production is the baroque, keshi and other irregular pearls. They do indeed have value, and can be more valuable than a lower graded round pearl. I am by no means, an expert on pearls. You should check out the Honora forum pearl cafe discussions.

deep gouges in the ringed pearls are soooo different than high end Baroque, and the tiny keshis have always been low quality. My best friend hubby is a jeweler and even he says that the Honora things coming to the lower end dept stores and the Q are indeed very low quality. Nothing like what the high end stores carry . There are INDEED high end good quality BAROQUE pearls and the larger high end keshi, NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THOSE HERE< THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHAT IS BROUGHT TO THE Q. HONORA does have exceptional pearls in the marketplace just not the highly dyed, deep guoged out (ringed) and tiny flakes (keshi) that they are bringing to the Q. I think we can all agree that there is a differnce between Tiffany"s and the Q

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 wowee said:
On 4/15/2014 wowee said:

Respected Contributor

I agree with OP.

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 wowee said:
On 4/15/2014 wowee said:

deep gouges in the ringed pearls are soooo different than high end Baroque, and the tiny keshis have always been low quality. My best friend hubby is a jeweler and even he says that the Honora things coming to the lower end dept stores and the Q are indeed very low quality. Nothing like what the high end stores carry . There are INDEED high end good quality BAROQUE pearls and the larger high end keshi, NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THOSE HERE< THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHAT IS BROUGHT TO THE Q. HONORA does have exceptional pearls in the marketplace just not the highly dyed, deep guoged out (ringed) and tiny flakes (keshi) that they are bringing to the Q. I think we can all agree that there is a differnce between Tiffany"s and the Q

It is very difficult to discern what you are talking about...I have purchased several very nice, high quality strands offered by Honora on the Q. The recent TSV is a good example. No need for a response, since I guess I just really don't understand your point.

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 wowee said:
On 4/15/2014 wowee said:

It is very difficult to discern what you are talking about...I have purchased several very nice, high quality strands offered by Honora on the Q. The recent TSV is a good example. No need for a response, since I guess I just really don't understand your point.

My point being, I agree with the OP, quality is going down!!!

Super Contributor

I thought pearls were for the lady-like. Is it refined and elegant to argue about pearls and insist on having the last word? What time does the mud wrestling start?

I don't understand why the Jewelry forum is rife with misery and arguments.

Valued Contributor

I rather like the idea of ladies fighting with pearls.

We could load them in pop guns and fire them at each other.

We could arm ourselves with mings and declare war on the People's Republic of Ripka.