Super Contributor

Re: Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

I thought the TSV mings were a good value for the size and type of pearl.

My pet peeve is people who comment on the quality of something without having seen it in person. While we can assume that the video/tv presentations are good, they can be somewhat misleading...in either direction! I have purchased items that look ok on the screen only to find them spectacular in person. I can say with all honesty, since I am wearing my new tsv ming strand, that this is one of those times...they are much nicer than they appeared on video! And I think they looked great on tv, so that's why I purchased. There are other times, however, when the opposite was true. What I don't do is make broad statements about overall quality of a particular line (jewelry, clothing, whatever) based on an item I've never seen in person. It especially bugs me when people also post things like "you've got to be an idiot" or "you must be stupid" or "if you want to spend your money like a fool", etc based on something they have only seen on-line or on tv. So to sum up, judgmental commentary without first hand knowledge is my pet peeve.

Regular Contributor

Well since I don't live near any swap meets or Hawaii for that matter, I will continue to buy Honora. I love their pearls and their prices. To me Judith Ripka is over-priced with fake diamonds and gold clad items. To each his own.
Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 smarty said:

I thought the TSV mings were a good value for the size and type of pearl.

My pet peeve is people who comment on the quality of something without having seen it in person. While we can assume that the video/tv presentations are good, they can be somewhat misleading...in either direction! I have purchased items that look ok on the screen only to find them spectacular in person. I can say with all honesty, since I am wearing my new tsv ming strand, that this is one of those times...they are much nicer than they appeared on video! And I think they looked great on tv, so that's why I purchased. There are other times, however, when the opposite was true. What I don't do is make broad statements about overall quality of a particular line (jewelry, clothing, whatever) based on an item I've never seen in person. It especially bugs me when people also post things like "you've got to be an idiot" or "you must be stupid" or "if you want to spend your money like a fool", etc based on something they have only seen on-line or on tv. So to sum up, judgmental commentary without first hand knowledge is my pet peeve.

Well stated! Haca

Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 panz said:

Am I the only one that feels Honora is going down a new path? "Bronze" metal, colored "crystals", low quality "ringed" pearls dyed Easter egg colors - I see this type of merchandise at our local swap meet (made in Korea) being sold to tourists (I live in Hawaii)

I remember when the Honora name stood for quality, classic (think Jackie and twin-sets) pearl jewelry.

Honestly ladies - these types of pieces sell for $5 at my swap meet! Another brand bites the dust IMO.

I agree with you Panz.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/12/2014 ennui1 said:

And you felt the need to share this opinion because ... ?

</
Contributor

I buy Honora, and I love some of the crazy colors, but I also buy more high-end pearls from other sites. I wear the high-end ones out in the evening or occasionally to the office, but I love having the inexpensive, fun ones to wear on the weekend with my capris and jeans, even for a walk in the park. I don't worry about getting sweat or sunscreen on them. I don't think of them as fine jewelry, more as costume, and the price reflects that.

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty cranky when it comes to bashing, andI think OP is mostly stating facts.
Regular Contributor

I love my Honora strands, purchased several years ago. They include a few colored, ringed strands. I also have a very nice Honora freshwater strand, pricey for me. I still can't believe I paid as much as I did for it.

Also have a Bixby lilac, long ringed neck made with Honora pearls if I remember correctly. It is gorgeous.

I have to say I have not purchased anything new from Honora for the last several years. Mostly because I have a substantial silver collection and no longer want to add to it. Same with pearls.

If I were to start collecting again I would not exclude the possibility of buying Honora with bronze or crystals IF it's the Honora quality I am used to.

I never did understand why people have to be snarky here. It's been said SOOOO many times--if you don't like an opinion move on to the next thread. I come here for opinions and advice, of which I have enjoyed for many years, not all of it to my liking but still appreciate the forum, the good and the bad.

Respected Contributor

I honestly wish I could go to OP's swap meets and get some new jewelry.

And I'm not being snarky. Sounds like my kind of place.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Regular Contributor

On 4/12/2014 panz said:
On 4/12/2014 jetts_mom said:

Honora has expanded what they do to appeal to a broader audience. They still have $30,000 strands if that is what you want. There are some very classic, and more costly pieces on Q, but also the fun, fashion designs that appeal both aesthetically and financially to others. Honora has different offerings for the different segments of their markets - jewelers, dept. stores (and different grades within those) and QVC.

I don't think the problem is not so much that you don't seem to care for what you see for Honora's products on the Q, but how you said it and the inference that those who might enjoy it are inferior.

Also, I notice you're in Hawaii. I would imagine there are a lot more, and diverse pearls readily available than there are to those of us on the mainland.

I re-read my OP and I didn't see it as offensive (but I've been wrong about that before {#emotions_dlg.sad}). I apologize to anyone that I may have offended - that wasn't my point. And to be honest, while it's not my style, I have absolutely nothing against any of the products (we sure know that a lot of people don't care for Ripka, but that's what makes me happy). Its just I hate to see the high prices. If the pieces were priced realistically, I'd say more power to them!

Yes - we have a lot of options available (there are several stores that sell Mikimoto), but there are also a lot of vendors (at "craft" fairs and swap meets) that stick it to the tourists which is sad.

Panz IMHO you don't have to apologize for anything. Certainly, the posters here who are criticizing this opinion have theirs and make them known quite often.

To each his own. I appreciate your comments. Your other loves, including Ripka, have nothing to do with what you think about Honora's latest foray.

Simply my own opinion.