Honored Contributor

Re: Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

I think Honora is smart to offer variety to appeal to a broader market.

Pearls and twin set s are NOT being worn by today's young women, so why not offer more hip options? There is something about pearls .....and finding ways to introduce them to people who wear more casual looks is a good business move.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Panz, Yes, I understood what you were saying. IMO, many of the jewelry brands - all over- including QVC, have declined in quality over the past few years. And, if I wanted to buy what I perceive to be costume, or "cheap" quality, I would not want to pay QVC premium prices for it.

And, no, I did not think your post was offensive.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I've never been a pearl fan, although it's my birthstone (June). They seem kind of wimpy and bland compared to other jewel possibilities. I've been even less impressed with Honora. It seems to me like they've made a business of buying flawed, junk pearls, dying them atrocious, unnatural colors and hawking them to people who should know better. The boys are excellent at marketing. I try to stay far away from them and never watch the shows. If somebody wants to buy them, it's okay with me. Didn't they recently sell the company? Undoubtedly to the Chinese.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

A good point was made that most of the Honora we see on the Q is not what you find in jewelry stores. If you cruise the Caribbean and get off the ship when docked or anchored, you cannot miss the big, expensive jewelry stores. Cheaper prices and duty free. People flock to them. For many, many years I have seen Honora, I saw the brand before I knew it was on the Q. The pearls are beautiful...and expensive. A quality brand to be sure.

What do you think about the "Mung" pearls? I don't know much about them but they must be desirable to be so expensive. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/12/2014 lovesrecess said:

I think dying the pearls that are poor quality or flawed is why they are doing the deeper and brighter colors....but why not just buy plastic ones then....sure not worth hundreds of dollars imo.

I've bought gorgeous glass pearls as my alternative- hand knotted looks like the real deal, they're 'perfect'!!

Honored Contributor

You only think you can buy Honora's gems and crystals at your local swap meets. Sorry to tell you but those of us who actually buy Honora can tell you're wearing cheap imitations. There's no harm in that because if you can't tell the difference yourself, you shouldn't spend the money for something better, but I can tell the difference, so I do.

I have those classic pearls you seem to covet. I've had them for many years because that's what we bought when I was young. I have them in several sizes and lengths - and I almost never wear them. That's my own stupidity I suppose, but in my current life style, I much prefer the slightly more casual colors and rings and the very much more casual addition of crystals and gems. I love pearls - wear them frequently, all thanks to Honora's offerings.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel Honora has some lovely pieces, but I am not a fan of the ringed, odd shaped or oddly colored pearls, they seem like "seconds" to me.

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 chrystaltree said:

I never bought Honora-Q v c pearls anyway. They always were over priced and I never liked the wild and crazy colors. I get better deals and far better styles from Mark Brown on Jtv. Customers are more sophisticated now,

I don't like Mark Brown -- he lies. So, as long as you're being sophisticated, keep that in mind.

Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 colliegirls said:

I feel Honora has some lovely pieces, but I am not a fan of the ringed, odd shaped or oddly colored pearls, they seem like "seconds" to me.

And some people think round, white pearls are boring.

Trusted Contributor

Panz, I didn't find your post offensive, either, particularly since the title also included a disclaimer. I like pearls well enough, but I'm certainly no expert. I come to this forum primarily to get the benefit of the much greater experience and knowledge of others who post here. In matters of taste (costume or "fine"?; Bronzo or Steel?) opinions are allowed, one would think.

I can't say that I have a lot of experience with Honora. I did buy a pearl station necklace not long ago and while it was undeniably lovely, the clasp was impossible and the chain was much finer than I anticipated for the price. I already had a short one and I wanted to buy the two longer ones to wear together. Fortunately, I bought the longest one first and can put it over my head, ridding myself of the problem of the clasp. I'm not so sure I want to buy the shorter one because of the clasp and the fine chain. It didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about Honora. The few times I've bought pearls, it was usually on vacation. Love them, classic stuff.

The Mings were fall-over-dead beautiful, but not something that I knew I would wear. Definitely pricey. Are they worth it? Probably. The rest of the pearl stuff I looked at simply didn't appeal to me personally so I didn't buy any. Knowing as little as I do about pearls and having had limited experience with the Q, I can't comment on how the selection/quality/price has changed over time. For those who can offer those kinds of observations, I'm interested in hearing them.