Honored Contributor

Re: Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

On 7/27/2014 terrier3 said:
On 7/27/2014 stevieb said:

All well and good and I don't necessarily differ with anything you've said, but among the issues, for me anyway, isn't whether or not Honora still produces higher end products or necessarily whether they're sold here, but the fact that QVC has essentially become a one trick pony as far as the vast majority of their jewelry shows are concerned. They apparently feel they have to tart everything up with fake diamonds and/or black spinel and set virtually everything in bronze. They don't stop with their house brands, but increasingly insist that all of their vendors follow suit. Again, fine with me if Honora wants to provide a steady diet of irregularly shaped pearls in fashion... colors, set them in bronze and surround them with whatever QVC's gemstone flavor of the year happens to be, but then don't expect that this appeals to everyone either. The point being, there is clearly room for a little more variety than QVC's buyers seem capable of coming up with.

They offer what sells.

It's that simple.

And among all the home shopping network channels, QVC is the #1 grossing and the #1 most profitable.

If shoppers wanted more pearls set in gold, they would offer that too!

Oh I don't know, which came first... ? Maybe it sells because it's presented incessantly. I can't imagine it's virtually all they ever present because there was an earth-shattering hue and cry from the masses for bronze and black spinel.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 focksie said:
On 7/27/2014 stevieb said:
On 7/27/2014 focksie said:

I think a lot of women equate "classic" designs (think Barbara B.'s or Jackie O's. strands of pearls) with fine-er jewelry. I think when women who are accustomed to this style then see designs that are a bit out of the box and not classic, they equate that with inferior or costume jewelry. What I'd like to know is -- aside from the use of less expensive metals -- how do you know that the pearls Honora is using have become inferior?

While it may be true that overall, Honora/QVC are looking to cut corners in the quality and materials they use nowadays, when you think about it, how many shows over how many years can Honora offer the same classic styles and designs in pearls without customers complaining how boring it is? How can they use only 14K and non-ringed, perfectly round pearls without charging in the hundreds or thousands of dollars? I see them trying to make it look more interesting,certainly more affordable for more people, as well as appealing to the younger customer. JMO.

I believe Barbara's pearls were admittedly sometimes costume. To me, the 'classic' designs worn by historical figures really isn't the issue. It's fine for Honora to mix it up and fine for them to sell what is essentially fashion jewelry, just as it's fine for QVC to incessantly hawk Bronzo and black spinel and to induce their vendors to as well... but let's call a spade a spade. This stuff is not the 'high-end' or 'fine' jewelry they try to convince us it is... More of a range of products with a bit broader appeal is what some are suggesting would be preferable to a steady diet of irregularly shaped and dyed pearls and black spinel set in a non-noble metal.

I disagree that they are trying to convince us this is high-end jewelry. I think everyone -- QVC and the public -- know it is what it is. Of course they're going to glorify during presentations, they're trying to sell. QVC is a mass producer and, as such, they have to make most of their product more affordable to everyone. They apparently cannot do that unless they go to non-14K/silver metals and irregular or ringed pearls.

When you talk about offering "more of a range of products with a bit broader appeal", do you mean more classic designs instead of leather? Do you mean 14K? Or perfectly round pearls? They actually do offer gemstones other than black spinel, but I guess that's what the consumers want or else they wouldn't keep using spinel. When Honora occasionally offers the higher-end product (their Reserve collection?), you see it in the price tag. I don't imagine they sell too many of those, therefore they don't offer as much of that.

I guess then we'll have to agree to disagree, but when QVC puts it out there that bronze jewelry featuring crystals, fake diamonds and dime-a-dozen black spinel is "fine Italian jewelry" they're certainly trying to convince someone of something...

And no, as noted above, I'm unconvinced consumers are crying out in droves for black spinel. You push something out there often enough and clearly some people will buy it. I'd guess they keep using spinel because there is money being made and as long as they can move the goods, they'll keep presenting it to the near exclusion of everything else... It appears they bought a gross of it on the cheap, are using it across the board and have convinced their vendors to use it as well... In turn they're selling it at a significant profit or you can believe they'd move on to their next gemstone flavor of the month...

I believe they could make an affordable product without the incessant focus on third tier gemstones and non-noble metals, but their profit margin wouldn't be as extensive... Meanwhile, people are free to buy it if they choose. Personally, I'll hold out for something else and/or purchase jewelry elsewhere. It's an each to their own kind of thing.

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I think Honora is a soon to be an ex-vendor on TSC in Canada. The only item left of that brand are various colored stretch bracelets that didn't even sell out when TSC had a half off clearance promo on jewelry that was already on sale. I think about the time that Richline bought Honora and invested in Sajen that customers started noticing a quality difference and not for the better. I think Honora's best days are behind them and I don't miss them in Canada at all. I took a look at the QVC stuff and it's average looking for sure. I also no longer buy Sajen as their line cheapes out on a silver chain that came with a pendant. I think they now make a lot of their jewelry in India instead of Bali, Indonesia and that's what I thought made the line special was that it was made in Indonesia.
Respected Contributor

I was just talking about this company to my girlfriend who is also on the forums.

A few years ago there were many threads just like the other designers prior to arrival of the Honora shows and after filled with excitement. Where are they now?

Respected Contributor

On 3/23/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

I was just talking about this company to my girlfriend who is also on the forums.

A few years ago there were many threads just like the other designers prior to arrival of the Honora shows and after filled with excitement. Where are they now?

I don't know if it coincides with their sale or not, but I suspect they started losing some of their customer interest when they started doing everything in bronze.

Respected Contributor

They sure did lose THIS customer when they sold the Co. and went bronzo and black spinel etc. I miss the wonderful shows they use to have with beautiful pearls in silver and gold. Now the line looks cheap and more like costume jewelry.Bummer.