Honored Contributor

Re: High School ring, thinking of selling mine...

@CaChica wrote:

Hi all,

Has anyone ever sold a high school ring? Do you the think the gemstone is natural?  They are selling on ebay and seem to be selling for more than they were way back when they were new. 

My graduation ring was purchased before we knew we were going to move in the middle of my sr. year so I am not sentimental about the ring and it is barely used.  I'm wondering if the gemstone is a natural one.  Does anyone know if they used real gems for high school rings?

What do you all think?

It’s very rare to find natural gems used in high school rings. If it’s from the seventies it’s probably not a gem. 

Honored Contributor

My 1963 gold ring had mother of pearl stone.  I lost it in a motel swimming pool in Beaumont Texas within the year.  The guys had a different darker stone.  Ours were Terryberry, by coincidence my father had worked for them as a salesman when I was a kid.

Trusted Contributor

I had mine (1965) until about 6 months ago when I gave it to my (16 yr old) namesake granddaughter.  She wears it every day and loves it.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Just last month my younger cousin happened to be staying at the shore house for the week.  I asked her if she still had my high school ring....she is 65, I am 74.5.  I had given it to her because she switched to public school for high school and wanted a reminder of the other school.

She lost track of it long ago.  I was curious because it was such an odd shaped stone in the ring.

One of my dumbest purchases when I was in college was a cream-colored wool blazer that had the college insignia and my graduation year.  Since I was a senior where did I think I was going to wear it ????   My hard-earned money...but I learned to think ahead in my purchases.

Lesson learned.

I fell for the blazer too.  I went to a preppy Catholic women's college and we had the opportunity to get navy wool blazers with the college insignia and year on the pocket.  Dumb move.

I also bought a college ring because the stupidity of buying a high school ring hadn't sunk in yet.

Trusted Contributor

Like another poster mentioned, we moved at the beginning of my senior year so I had no connection to the school I graduated from and no reason to buy a ring.

College was another matter.  I put myself through college, and it was major feat that I celebrated by buying a ring, which I wore for years.  It no longer fits or I'd still wear it occasionally.  It did not have a stone--it had the business school symbol inlaid in 10 kt white gold.  My ring was by Jostens. 

I wouldn't sell mine, but I can see how others would want to.  

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

I had mine (1965) until about 6 months ago when I gave it to my (16 yr old) namesake granddaughter.  She wears it every day and loves it.

This is what I plan to do with mine but she will not be five until the end of Aug., so some time remains.  I still pull mine out from time to time to wear it.  I enjoy knowing it is still in jewelry box since I purchased it my Jr. year in 1979.  Not a lot of other things I still own from that decade.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Take it to a jeweler.... find out what it is and the value... then sell it knowing what you know.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most high school rings are 10K (worth much less) and have synthetic stones unless you chose to upgrade.    In the market place, they are not worth much.  Some places will pick them up for the gold..but 10k is not worth much nor is it in high demand.

Respected Contributor

@tessam wrote:

Most high school rings are 10K (worth much less) and have synthetic stones unless you chose to upgrade.    In the market place, they are not worth much.  Some places will pick them up for the gold..but 10k is not worth much nor is it in high demand.

I was happy to get the $180 for mine from the gold dealer.  I remember my parents paid $28.00 for it back in 1972.

Frequent Contributor

I graduated in 1977 and our rings were Balfour and 10kt gold. The only 2 gemstones that were not synthetic were the black onyx and the mother of pearl. I was very into REAL gemstones at the time, so mine is black onyx set in white gold.