Esteemed Contributor

My DIL just sent me a link from yesterday's Albuquerque paper that Skip Maisel's on Central is closing (building is already sold) due to his retirement. That's my favorite NA store!  I'll take a look and do some buying later this month.  Have you ever shopped there?

Honored Contributor

Is that the store that has all the Southwestern/Native American jewelry ?

I was gonna go there while we were on vacation, but, once I found that village that had so much stuff I never got there.

To Kachina. (off topic) I see where you all are having trouble with an area

that is being flooded with 'visitors'.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE:  Which village? Where?  Did you make it to Richardson's in Gallup?

Honored Contributor

I can't remember the name of the tourist area but all it is , is shops up and down the sidewalks. There's a square that has benches for people to sit I called it the Towne Square LOL.  

Kachinea and I talked about it she knows what I"m talking about.

You pay to park your car for the day and leave it not having to worry about parking then just start out walking. I bought 3 bracelets in there.

I had saw that 'skip' place advertised in my AAA brochures think it was, but, hubbo put a stop to the jewelry buying and we went to the Mall. LOL

Honored Contributor

called Old Town

type in skip maisel and it brings up a lot of stuff. somebody could had faked a going out of business sign and put it on the storefront. Doesn't seem to be going out of business. Yelp reviews are current. Somebody could of had a bone to pick and did a 'job' on their ad.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE:  Old Town is a famous area and there is one store where my Navajo DIL has bought several very nice pieces.  Sorry but Skips is closing (per Albuquerque Journal January 31st).  I have always loved this place, with everything from tourist trinkets to great artisans like Bennie Ration and Chalmers Day.  Hope it's another Jewelry store taking over.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I hate to hear that. I never made it over there. I'm in Amarillo, Tx.

Back to Old Town, I guess. No place to eat there is my biggest gripe about Old Town. Hubbo won't eat Mexican food at all. I like some of it, but, I got delicate stomach LOL sometimes stuff doesn't want to stay around long if I eat something that it doesn't agree with.  Better take my own water too.

Wonder why they're going out ? Man retiring something like that?

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE: From the picture with article, Skip appears to be in his late 70s; he said he is going to concentrate on his horses, so yes, he is retiring.  We love NY Pizza which is within half a block of Skip Maisels.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Kachina!

[ Edited ]

wonder where Central is located in regards to Old Town ? with hubbo it has to be hamburgers, steak, all that greasy food hahahhaha  I can go fish or chicken and not complain. Turkey, I could live on.

Kachinea must still be in bed. That awful Mt. time I hate ! We're on Central and that's bad enough compared to the majority of the world that is on Eastern, but, Mountain time is the worst. We're starved to death by the time 11 their time comes around.

If he doesn't eat at 11 somebody is gonna hear about it he'll start ranting it's 12 our time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   acts like he's gonna die .

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE:  Central and Old Town are very close;  you go down Central and turn left (10 minutes max).