Honored Contributor

Re: Help Me Choose a Pair of Earrings

@Enufstuff 

I looked up that one too.  I like it also but the other one more.  Sounds like you have a nice collection.  I found a few pieces from QVC that I bought decades ago.  I don't wear neckaces anymore but might start again.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm   Those few pieces, my dear, are just the tip of the iceberg.  I have been collecting jewelry since I was a little girl.

I think that I was about 8 years old, when I bought my first two pieces of silver and turquoise at an Indian reservation.

There are so many different collections, Southwestern silver and turquoise, Eastern Woodland sweetgrass, seed bead and porcupine quill pieces, wampum jewelry. Then there are larimar pieces from the Dominican Republic, cameos and gold from Italy, a collection of coral pieces, amber, pearls, ,charm bracelets, pins, rings. Gemstones in gold and silver and fashion jewelry. Many pieces bought on vacations.

In the 90's my collections really grew, thanks to QVC, Joan Rivers, Erwin Pearl, Bob Mackie, Kenneth Jay Lane and others.

In 2011, I began making jewelry, mostly with sea glass, crystals, pearls and wampum shells. I guess you could say that jewelry has always been my passion. (or obsession).

Thankfully, I have three daughters, a daughter in law, two grand daughters and four great grand daughters. For several years, I have been giving them many pieces. They all love jewelry too and appreciate the pieces that I give them.

I'm teaching the little ones about the gemstones.

Really, I have too much stuff and now retired, don't wear so many pieces every day. At home, it is mostly earrings with my

caftans.

Esteemed Contributor

Either 2 or 5

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff 

It sounds fun!  I almost bought a beautiful Larimar ring on of of my Princess cruises.  It was drop dead gorgeous but I knew I was over paying for it so I waited till I got home and looked at QVC's offering.  I found one I liked but it wasn't nearly as pretty as it was on tv.  I sent it back.  I obsessed over Larimar for months but never bought any more.

Valued Contributor

Like all of them but favs are 1 & 6. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm 

That is unfortunate that the Larimar from QVC was not good quality. Of course when they present jewelry, the one shown is probably the best out of thousands of pieces. With natural stones everyone is different, and may not be consistant in quality.

Larimar is only found in the Dominican Republic and now with internet shopping, in recent years, that was how I got my pieces directly from shops in D.R.  One shop is The Larimar Shop and I did buy from a couple of other shops there.

My first piece, more than 20 years ago, I found in a shop in a resort town in Massachusetts. Then I bought a few more when it was offered on QVC, years ago.

I do think that the best pieces were the ones I found online from D.R. shops. Those pieces have the deepest coloring and some have the desired "turtle back pattern". From the shops online, you are purchasing the one piece that is pictured, not the best example from thousands.

That may be a way for you to find a special piece, at a good price.

I am an enabler.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff 

I identify as an enabler too so I welcome the enabling lol

Thanks for the tip!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm   You are entirely welcome.

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely love 3 and 6!!