Respected Contributor

What did you do with Grandma's and Mom's diamond rings once they passed on?

I was going to put them all into one ring but that may be a bit much for everyday.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

What did you do with Grandma's and Mom's diamond rings once they passed on?

I was going to put them all into one ring but that may be a bit much for everyday.

Look for an everyday style (setting) that appeals to you and use all stones if you can.  Or have a set made , earrings, with matching ring and/or pendant?

Honored Contributor

My mom had her diamond solitaire and my grandmother's, both about the same size.  I gave them to my sister who has two adult daughters.  She had pendants made for them so now each has a reminder of grandmothers.  My aunt had given me a nice diamond ring since I never had a diamond wedding band.  It was not strictly a marital style.  I don't care anything about diamonds so I gave it to my sister who loved it.  I took the turquoise.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Heirloom Diamonds

[ Edited ]

My Grandfather was a jewelry designer, my Grandmother had fabulous jewelry. My Mom inherited it all. Plus she had a lot of very nice jewelry on her own. As is our family tradition - she left it all to me. It was too much. I kept a couple pieces I loved especially then my SILs and I sat down at a table with all the pieces on the table and we went around the table one at a time picking out what we would like until it was all chosen.Everyone got equal opportunity to pick from the pile.No moaning or groaning about anyone else's picks either. We all left with a box of treasures.

Years before while my grandfather was still alive he took the rings that he had given my grandmother for their 50th anniversary and made them into a wedding ring for me - a Tiffany bridge with a 2 carat center emerald cut and 5, 1/4 carat rounds across the band then another 5, 1/4 carats on the wedding ring to match set in platnium. I love them , they are amazing looking but just not what I wanted to wear every day. My DH had his Mom's antique ring reset for me in a much simpler style that I love and wear all the time. I put grandma's diamonds away in our safety deposit box and they haven't seen the light of day for years and years.Some day I will pass them on to a new generation and maybe she will love them and wear them. My mother had lost her diamond ring many years before she died and wore only her thin gold band and she was buried with it on her finger.

Honored Contributor

Depends on a few things. I have very few items but they are very nice pieces. Should my sons wish to use some of the stones for an engagement ring; that is always possible. Should I have granddaughters, they could be passed on to them. My goal is to keep it in the family.

Then again, if they tick me off, I can sell the items and have a great time somewhere Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

My mom never had a diamond ring. There were tiny diamond starbursts in her wedding ring, which, as her only surviving child, I have. I also have my grandmother's diamond engagement ring. I am saving that one to offer DS someday if he wants it. I will give DD the wedding ring. 

A lot of friends of mine have had their mom's rings reset. They always look beautiful! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My Mother had what was called an Anniversary ring...had 3 rows of diamonds. It is rather gawdy for my taste since I have small fingers. I am not sure what I am going to do with it. My daughter doesn't wear jewelry other than her wedding set.

Honored Contributor

I have my mother's diamond and plain gold wedding band, and her mother's Low Belcher set tiny 1/4 carat diamonds and hefty 18K wedding band.

Grandma's wedding band was blessed in my wedding ceremony along with my own gold band.

My mother's diamond was not given to her by my dad, and it was one of two settings that she owned, and she never spilled the beans about where those rings came from.

I wear all six (3 diamonds, 3 plain bands) interchangeably, and love them all.

Except for the heavy gold wedding band, none of them have any particular monetary value, and I couldn't care less.

Valued Contributor

I had my moms 1 carat solitare ring set in a 14K gold pendant - I wear it everyday.

Honored Contributor

My engagement ring contained the (minute)  stone from his grandmother's engagement ring.  The original setting was masculine and the ring a size 9. She was livid when my husband told her he was having the stone reset . Every time she saw me, she asked how her diamond was. Drove me crazy.  I  would have preferred not having a ring.

Eventually the ring  (and numerous other items) was (were) stolen.