Esteemed Contributor

Heard Museum virtual Indian Market 2021

Begins Friday March 5, 9 am.  Yes, there is a list of artists and you can buy virtually.  This is a great Indian Market ( right up there with Santa Fe ).  I made a purchase virtually last year at Santa Fe ( these artists especially need our support/business during pandemic ).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heard Museum virtual Indian Market 2021

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing the info. I am a little surprised to see them use the word "Indian." I thought everyone had already transitioned to "Native American." 

Honored Contributor

Here in WA state they prefer the word "Tribal". or so I recently read in the Seattle Times.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let me say I livein Oklahoma and we are very proud of our tribes!  And I love the word tribes for this market.  I have been to the museum and it is wonderful!!!  I have jewelry from there from long ago!

I don't get all this worry about words sometimes.  Italian-American.  OK.  So your grandparents for great great great whatever parents came from Italy.  How come we aren't all "grandparents-American?"  Some just say they are Italian if it's 3 generations back. . . 

The tribes crossed over the land bridge, so in that respect none of us are native to this country.

So in my mind, where ever your ancestors came from and however they got here, you are the same as usthe rest of  if you are a citizen here.  We all got here from somewhere else.

Why define any of us by our ancetors?  Certainly I respect tradition and heritage, but to me all that matters is what kind of person you are.   I don't like labels for people.  And I don't think it helps us understand we are all alike. 

Trusted Contributor

I know we can't post specific websites here, but could you give me a hint how to find this online?  TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

Go to Heard Museum page; it'll be listed there.  While you're there, check out their shop (beautiful jewelry from $40 to thousands).

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Go to Heard Museum page; it'll be listed there.  While you're there, check out their shop (beautiful jewelry from $40 to thousands).

THANKS for the info.