Honored Contributor

Re: Have a dresser full of jewelry bought from QVC over a 20 year span trying to find the value ?

I sell on eBay and can tell you that on 14k items you can expect to see at least double what was initially paid. Even if the item is worth 3X that, that's what the secondary market seems to be, that's not counting 14k items with precious or semi-precious stones. Joan Rivers items, new in box will command just about full value when it was new, especially popular, no longer made items. Jewelry is a slow seller right now, but it'll pick up closer to Christmas (starting in Sept).

Please don't put these out in a garage sale if you can help it. They'll sell to people like me who buy them at a fraction and then resell them on eBay.

If you aren't able to do eBay on your own (it really isn't hard but it is time-consuming and you'll need to understand what is required by eBay of a Seller)... there are people out there that will sell the items for you on consignment. They'll charge about 30% but you'll still be making far more than you would at a garage sale.

Very good luck to you, and my sincerest condolences to you and your family. It's hard, I know....

Good

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: Have a dresser full of jewelry bought from QVC over a 20 year span trying to find the value ?

Yes please don't put anything in a yard sale yet. As others here have suggested, get a loop and look at what the markings are on silver/gold pieces and separate them out. The jeweler I go to told me that most stones are not worth anything unless they are a good size and are precious stones like diamonds, rubies etc. He actually had a bucket full of loose gems in the back that they will use to replace or repair items. But they have to be exceptional. CZ and semi precious stones are melted together with the gold and are actually deducted from what they will pay for just the gold. I took all the stones out of my gold which is pretty easy. Research online about how the gold buyers buy the gold. It's very interesting. Ebay is a little more than I can handle myself but if you have someone that will do it for you then go for it for the costume stuff.

Honored Contributor

I may try selling it on ebay in one big lot and just be done with it .

------------------------------------------------------------

Lot sales on eBay are usually sold to resellers and can be a pain because you also get dealers who will try and get the price down as far as possible. Of course it's up to you because of time constraints but you'll get far more value from a Consignor who will take the time to put the items up one by one and research each one (that's what you're paying the 30% for, all the time and research as well as eBay/Paypal fees that goes into it!)....

Knowing what I know about eBay (I've been on it since 1999 - 2000)... I'd strongly recommend someone (perhaps not an Ebay Store) but someone who will do this for you. BTW 30% is not written in stone, it's just an average. And if you go to "Community" and start a thread about Consignors who will sell jewelry for people, you may get a lot of recommendations from regulars there as there are a ton of people who do this (I don't)..... again, much luck~! Smile

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

On 8/5/2014 LSavage said:

I have taken some pieces out that I wanted to keep, given a few things .. I will go through and pick out the silver and gold pieces, But just do not have the time to investigate every piece. I may try selling it on ebay in one big lot and just be done with it .

Ebay offers classes on how to sell, too.

If you just want to be done with it, you're throwing money away.

Respected Contributor

I have been selling a QVC jewelry "collection" for years. I have priced and re-priced to the point of exhaustion. I'm not for selling it in a yard sale, unless you have a situation where you can separate the junk from the better stuff and get the prices you want. We have areas like that. My suggestion is to separate out the gold and take it to a reputable gold buying business. I did very well with the older QVC jewelry since it had such a high gold content. All the other jewelry, including silver, I have sold out of stores. Looking thru all those invoices will be a waste of time. For example, I sold many Joan Rivers egg pendants that QVC sold for $50 - $100, for $20 ea. Same price range for the others you mentioned, with the exception of Lee Sands and the silver. That's junk jewelry, so price it pennies on the dollar to move it out. I'm talking about silver without the jewels. You can get slightly more for that, but it's a dang hassle keeping it clean long enough to sell it. Good luck. I understand what you're going thru.

Honored Contributor

I'd go with a local eBay store.

Less hassle for you...maximum profit when the entire world is looking at your items, not just the neighbors!

It's great you have the original boxes...that will increase the value to collectors of the various lines.

Super Contributor

On 8/5/2014 momcat said:

My suggestion is to separate out the gold and take it to a reputable gold buying business. I did very well with the older QVC jewelry since it had such a high gold content.

I think you mean weight, since 14K and 18k are the same everywhere. Older pieces tend to be heavier, but it's the same gold.

Respected Contributor

Just go to ebay and do some "completed auctions" (in the advanced search) searches for some of your marked and designer pieces. Then look for the green....those sold. You'll get a great idea of what people are paying for that item, high to low. Also you will get a MUCH better price WITH the boxes so keep them and any of the 'romance tags" with the items. Collectors love this! I've been selling for years on ebay (lots of Q jewelry I was no longer wearing) and had no problems at all and met some nice ladies too. A tip... An easy way to get great pics of jewelry items to list is use you scanner. Do the front and back and show the boxes. List a few items, try it out and you are on your way. Have fun! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

On 8/5/2014 silkyk said:

A tip... An easy way to get great pics of jewelry items to list is use you scanner. Do the front and back and show the boxes.

Really? I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have to try it.

Honored Contributor

don't garage sale the Q jewelry, it will go for $1, that would be sad

at least separate the real gold and sell that,

as for the Joan R, etc I would go with what has been suggested above research secondary markets.

keep the boxes!

my husbands cousin just cleaned out her mothers apt after she died, felt pressured to do it quickly. end result she gave stuff away then regretted it

so don't rush.