Honored Contributor

I have several old gold ring mountings and I'd like to get rid of them.  Have you ever done this?  How much of the spot gold price did you get?

I'm curious.  These are in my ring box and I ought to get rid of them!

Thanks for any input!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Sold Gold?

You won't get much for them, unfortunately.  You may be better off having them melted down and made into a pendant or something else.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner Years ago when they had gold parties I sent my friend with a couple of broken pieces and thin chains and an old ring.I told her I wanted two hundred dollars or just bring my pieces back.I got 850 for that junk and I was in heaven.I don’t know if they still do those parties but gold was high at that time.I guess you need to make up your mind ahead of time how much you are willing to sell for and then check it out.

Honored Contributor

Don't know about price but my mother and grandmother used to take theirs to a local jeweler and he'd take it and offer and pay on the spot.    

If you want to check price, not sure if it exists anymore but it used to be in the paper financial section every day as to what gold was going for an ounce.  Probably have to google it now.  

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

You won't get much for them, unfortunately.  You may be better off having them melted down and made into a pendant or something else.

@grandma r   I want to get rid of stuff, not get more!  LOL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@SoonerDepends how heavy they are and I'm sure you know whether they're 14k, 18k, etc.     You can take them to a local jeweler and see what they'll tell you and what they'll offer you -  you don't have to accept.  You may be able to get more online, but I haven't sold that way for years so I don't know where is best. 

Last time I sold a piece of gold (one heavy super ugly ring) was 6 years ago.  I sold to the jeweler where I wanted to buy something rather than chasing for the very highest amount I could get.  My impatience probably cost me a few dollars, but not really all that much and that ugly ring was something I found - so I no invested money.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

Do it. 

How much?

Gold prices fluctuate so much but at the end of the day,

a penny would’ve been welcomed.  I stopped wearing 

all my 80’s gold/diamond jewelry collection decades ago

so it was just gathering dust.  It felt good to release stuff.

I wasn’t selling it for any other reason. 

Honored Contributor

i have a local jewelry store i deal with when i want to sell my gold. they have been in business for over 100 years and i trust them to give me a fair price. they sit down with me, test everything, and then give me a price. i am not obligated to sell to them. if i want a store credit they give you 50% more. for example, if they want to give me a check for $1000 right then and there, if i decide to take a store credit, they will give me a gift card for $1500.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

There is a company in NY that everyone here used to sell their gold back when it reached the ridiculous high (and really never came down much).

I am getting ready to sell all mine. I just don't wear much jewelry anymore. I also have broken chains, dented stuff etc.

I believe the name of the company is US Gold Buyers. I have to google to find it.

They send you an envelope, you send in what you want to be rid of, and they email you back what amount of money they offer. I believe they melt it down, but this company does not melt it before giving you the price. If you don't like the offer, they just send it back to you.

If you agree to the price, they are very prompt in paying.

You make more money selling it to companies that melt it, as sad as that is. I do have some omega's that I bought 20+ years ago when gold was low and the Q sold jewelry with high gram weights. They are beautiful so I am having a hard time parting with them, but they are worth SO much more than I paid for them.

Respected Contributor

look up the price of gold, and see if it worth it to you. If so take it to 3 different jewelry stores that buy gold and compare. Has to be done on the same day as gold prices fluctuate. They will weigh the gold and tell you how much