Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Lost Jewelry ...

Mostly earrings... just one of a set.  I still think someday I will find them.  Woman LOL

But what is worse than LOST is theft.  My poor mother had the worst luck.  Pushed down, in Rio, necklace pulled off her neck.  Also having a ring cleaned in home town and diamond changed out ... CZ replacement.  And I had an engagement ring, broke it on a faucet (I kid you not).  I  safely put it away and it was stolen (most likely lady who cleaned my house just one time).  

So I am no fan of expensive jewelry... does not even tempt  me  

Honored Contributor

About twelve years ago I transfered my jewelry from the drawer in an antique Victorian wash stand which I had been using to Q's silver safe amoire with mirror.  

I was digging around in the back of the drawer the other day and came up with a heavy black disc which I had polished.  It rurned out to be a ss disk with rope edge and my initials engraved.  I barely remember it.  That weight can't even be bought now.  It's probably from the 80's or early 90's!

Valued Contributor

Several times. My favorite was when I was in high school. I lived on Long Island and a friend and I were going to NY to go shopping. My mother told me not to wear my gold charm bracelet -- and of course I didn't listen. Gone. I called the lost & found at Gimbels several times over several months and nobody had turned it in. Literally a year later I was in NY with my mother and said we should go to the department where I lost the bracelet in Gimbels. She didn't want to because she didn't want me to be disappointed all over again. But we did. Unbelievably -- the same saleswoman was there. I asked if she found the bracelet and she said -- OMG -- YES! -- and I forgot to bring it to the lost & found!!! She walked right over to a drawer and there it was! I never wore the bracelet again. First it was in my mother's safe deposit box -- and now it is in mine.

Honored Contributor

Well.....from a sitting position, one earring I had that was a shepherd's hook, came loose and then off, and plop, right down the toilet. I don't expect to ever find that one!

Valued Contributor

Yes I lost a very heavy valuable 22 Kt gold bangle bracelet for many years.  I was sick about it.  Then one day many years later I was cleaning out a closet and took a blazer out and I heard a mettalic noise and low and behold my bangle fell out of the pocket and rolled onto the floor.

Respected Contributor

14K Gold earring--my favorite--for 5 years.

Wore to a viewing  ... after many hugs and tears, went home to find it was missing.   Called funeral home and also church office where car parked.  Even thought it stuck in someone's hair as we embraced.   For several days walked around the street, sidewalk thinking it would shine in the sun.  Also, literally crawled throughout my house looking under every pc. of furniture.

Fast forward, five years later.....when having my car fixed (DH hit a deer), the body shop took the back seat out, and saw my earring.   Apparently, I brushed my hair in the front seat of the car which I always do--the brush apparently jerked it out of my ear unknowingly, then it miraculously hurled it and slid within the back seat.  Go figure!

Respected Contributor

After being at my daughter's house, we sleep over several days very two weeks or so. 

I came home and there was a chain but no pendant. It was an estate piece when I bought it in 1983, a white gold heart, bezel set diamonds .50 pts, really unique.

Retraced my steps several times and gave up on it.

Weeks later daughter called, found it in the washer.

With two boys under 3 the washer is always running,

the heart survived diamonds intact, very clean and a bit

misshapen, (not really noticeable).

Honored Contributor

Hints from jewelry designer/metalsmith (me): Any new pieces I purchase or inherit, I check the way it is fastened. If not tight like on a bracelet or earrings, repair before you wear it. I insure everything of value. Yes if has sentimental value & is lost, the sentiment can't be replaced, but a new piece pd. for by the insurance company takes a little sting out of the loss.

Put your jewelry on last (after getting dressed) & take it off first...saves getting it caught/lost. I pair up all my post earrings and attach them to a strip of black grosgrain ribbon. The pair stays together and can't get lost in jewelry box or separated from each other. That also makes it easy to find 2 the same when getting ready. Also w/ post earrings, adjust the butterfly clasp on back using a tweezer through the 2 loops to tighten them on the post. Periodically check lobster claw or round clasps on necklaces to make sure the ring they are on or hook into are not split or wearing thin. 

Hope this helps prevent losing pieces you love.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  The year Joan (Rivers) died, I bought a bee pin.  I love the story behind the bumble bee, and it's apparent impossible trajectory to flight (heck, I love bumble bees.  I'm a gardener).

I don't usually like costume jewelry, but I was really inspired to buy this bee pin.  It's a poinsettia motif, and I especially liked her open heart to celebrations of all sorts in the month of December.

The first time I wore it, I pinned it to my shoulder and went out.  Promptly lost it.  Rats!

In the summer of 2016 I was rummaging behind my bench truck seat and I found it there.  I have it out somewhere I can see it, now, always, and I wore it all of December while I needed courage through some tough times.  It is special.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I had gone to lunch with my mom and got home and realized I didn't have me wedding rings on. Needless to say I just started to cry. I remembered washing my hands in the restroom and thought I had left them on the sink. I called the restaurant, they couldn't find them. I was sick. Anyway the nexted morning my little boy came walking in our bedroom and he had them on his thumb. Then I remembered I had taken them off to but lotion on my hands and left them on my night stand. I was so happy.