Respected Contributor

Re: Have Any Of You Slowed Down Buying Jewelry As You've Gotten Old(er)?

I stopped buying necklaces and rings, but I still love my bracelets and earrings. I no longer buy fine jewelry. I sold some of it and am beginning to pass along some pieces to family to mark special occasions.

Valued Contributor

my engagement ring and wedding band  plus a gold wedding band  gave to my son for my g/grandauhter  shes 6 now  when she finds the love of her life he will give them to her.  plus cameos my hubby gave me when he was stationed in italy .

Valued Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

My priorities in life have changed.  I have collected jewelry that I appreciate, but unless jewelry speaks to me in a symbolic way I just don't purchase it anymore.  The jewelry that I continue to wear is usually because it is significantly meaningful (i.e., 24k phoenix earrings, a pendant with the emerald table inscribed on the front and back surrounded with gold symbols and a small emerald in the center).

I've found too that the jewelry I prefer to wear as I grow older are the pieces with symbolic significance. Religious pendants, a pendant on which I had my dog's name engraved, a "love forever" ring similar to the one I bought my husband when he lost his wedding ring. I have lots of jewelry that I love but when it comes to chosing what pieces to wear for the day it's usually these pieces. These are the ones that make my heart sing. So I often find myself thinking that perhaps I should sell the rest of my jewelry. 

Trusted Contributor

I have definitely slowed down, but I really need to stop completely.  I have so much jewelry I don't even know what I have...   that's too much!  I inherited alot from my mother a few years ago, who had a substantial collection.  I think I'm following in her footsteps....  and I don't have kids to leave it to like she did!

Respected Contributor

I stopped buying when the price of gold skyrocketed.  I do miss those days on QVC.  Loved receivng those little brown packages in the mail! 

Honored Contributor

When it comes to jewelry, I only wear small earrings.  I do not like the feel of necklace chains on my neck, dislike watches and bracelets, and hate rings on my fingers.   I asked my husband and daughters to stop buying me jewelry a long time ago.    

Honored Contributor

I have so much, I simply don't have room for more

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t buy jewelry very often these days and have already given a lot away; however, I occasionally come across a piece that I like.  For instance, last fall I went to a craft fair and purchased a necklace made from glass beads.  I’ve never worn a lot of jewelry, but I like unique pieces. 

Honored Contributor

I have a renewed love for Diamonique since Erin is connected with it. Lately I have been buying a few rings and I love them. I enjoy both the gold clad and platinum clad in the vintage looking styles. I really don't like to spend a lot of money on jewelry these days, but if I see something I can't live without I usually cave in.