Honored Contributor

Re: Have Any Of You Slowed Down Buying Jewelry As You've Gotten Old(er)?

@Annabellethecat66   Oh MY YES!  I now just never purchase or have interest in jewelry like I did in my 40-50's.  I bought SO MUCH  and when working enjoyed wearing it. Now retired.. home 6 days out of 7... I never put any jewelry on unless I go to the store I MIGHT  put on earrings... but that is all......   I enjoy looking at it... 

So sad as I have SO MUCH jewelry and no children or family to share it with. It just goes unused and unseen.  I sold all my heavy gold piece$$$$$  a few years ago.. just have my favorite pieces... now.  Still have way too much!

Someday if I get motivated I will try to sell some on ebay.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My priorities in life have changed.  I have collected jewelry that I appreciate, but unless jewelry speaks to me in a symbolic way I just don't purchase it anymore.  The jewelry that I continue to wear is usually because it is significantly meaningful (i.e., small 24k phoenix earrings, a pendant with the emerald table inscribed on the front and back surrounded with gold symbols and a small emerald in the center - wear this just for myself inside my shirt).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked in the jewelry industry for many years. Styles have dramatically changed since the 70's and 80's, so some of the large, heavy earrings I purchased from Tiffany's, I sold off about 5 years ago. The Tiffany offerings today are sad to me. I was looking at their T bracelet in 18k gold and it felt to be about 8 or 9 pennyweights with an exorbitant price tag. Gone are the days when a large price tag at least went with quality.

I recently purchased pearl earrings and diamond earring jackets to match an 8mm pearl strand. When I do purchase anything, though, I prefer quality to quantity so I space my purchases out. Last year, this was my only purchase of fine jewelry.  I guess I have dramatically changed my habits.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11@phoenixbrd @SeaMaiden @newname0 @Eileen in Virginia   Thanks to all of you for responding to my post.

It's always good to hear from others that what we're thinking or feeling is experienced by others.

In my opinion, I think that's where females have it all over males.  Those of us who reach out to others (like here) and aren't afraid to share what we think or feel, I think, are helped so much by doing this.

I've said before when my husband died suddenly, I decided I could just close myself off or I could make an effort to dress like I was going to work (makeup and all) every time I left the house.

I don't do much.  Just go to lunch with a friend, spend time with family and go to various Drs.  But when I do leave the house, I make sure I have on all my jewelry, coordinated clothes, hair done, etc.  

This is my way of saying, "I'm ready to take on whatever's thrown at me today".  I (again, like many of you) decided that I'd never become a burden to my girls.  They'd say I couldn't be a burden, but we all know caring for a family member could get difficult.  

Why make things complicated or difficult before it might become necessary.  Right?

Trusted Contributor

I buy very little jewelry since I retired, but I still love the pieces I purchased years ago.  I still wear a pair of gold hoop earrings everyday.  I sold some of them a few years ago and should probably sell more.  I wear my Eternagold most of the time.  

The latest thing I bought is a Baby Lupah Invicta watch with lots of interchangeable leather bands.  It fits my casual lifestyle.  

Respected Contributor

I have definitely slowed down in the 10 years I’ve been retired. Less going out, more expensive and less quality to the pieces.

In the last 2 weeks I have purchased lovely chandelier garnet earrings for $270 or so (gold from Gem Gallery on Amazon), today from QVC turquoise leverbacks on clearance.

This is retail therapy due to my health issues and dealing with my dh who has bipolar and anxiety issues that rev up with stress. The retail therapy doesn’t help, but I do love and wear my jewelry.

Sometimes I feel that I have to remind myself that I’m a person. My illnesses are not what gets me it is the extreme exhaustion and depletion of handling a mental illness that can’t be easily handled.

Valued Contributor

I love my Jewelry! Love wearing it!  My goal this year is to only buy jewelry on a special occasion or holiday.   Like Mother's Day, my birthday, you get the idea.  I need to stop buying jewelry every time I see something that catches my eye.  I don't have to own every single pretty thing I see!  I have plenty, and I want to wear and enjoy what I already have!

Honored Contributor

Big time!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have always loved jewelry but I have slowed way down in purchasing. Now that I am retired and not required to wear suits & dresses to work don't wear as much. Like many of you when gold prices were high I sold most of it.  Last year I purged my sterling silver collection. My local jeweler pays a fair price for gently used jewelry and resells it. 

I have purchased a few JAI pieces that I live in and go well with my current life style. But I admit I still enjoy "looking". 

Honored Contributor

When I worked full time, I wore a lot more jewelry than I do now, since I have cut back to three days/week.  Gold is just to expensive to 'buy for no reason' like I used to....I have no children of my own and not sure who I wlll leave those type of things to when I no longer 'need' them.

I did inventory each piece with a photo, description and price...probably more for my benfit more than anyone elses..I enjoy doing that sort of thing.

I also did our antiques and other family pieces.  I want my family things to stay with my family and dh's family things to go with his side...the list was so that no one got 'confused' as to what belonged to who, if ya know what I mean.