Respected Contributor

Re: Have Any Of You Slowed Down Buying Jewelry As You've Gotten Old(er)?

I don’t spend much on jewelry since retiring. But I did recently purchase a very nice bracelet because I stumbled upon it in the estate collection at the local jewelry store. 😊

Honored Contributor

I buy about the same amount as always.  A Brighton piece here and there, sometimes something from QVc, and sometimes something at Nordstrom.  

I pick up Tiffany pieces for family members for big events like graduations.  

I also got quite a few nice pieces  from my mom and my husband bought me nice jewelry from local stores over the years.   I don’t need any more, but if something catches my eye, I go for it.  

Honored Contributor

I stopped wearing most of my gold jewelry about 25 yrs. ago. The larger pieces were sold when prices were high. I wear mostly silver or white gold and fortunately can design and make much of what I wear.

The only jewelry I now purchase is costume “throw away” pieces that are inexpensive to add to things I wear regularly.

I’ve saved some small gold studs and hoops for the little granddaughters. DD and DIL both also only wear white metals. I’ve started giving some Yurman things to the “daughters” so I can see them enjoying them. Why wait?

Trusted Contributor

When my first husband passed away I had quite a collection of pieces he had gifted me over the many years we were married.  I gave our daughter (our only child) whatever pieces she wanted as a remembrance of her father; she made off with most of my rings and a few other pieces.  I still had a trove of nice pieces and would occasionally buy new earrings or a bracelet after I started working again.  My second husband has been incredibly generous in his jewelry gifting, and I have spent a fair share of my own earnings on even more jewelry.  No matter, because I wore jewelry to work every day, we often went out or went to lovely places where dressing for dinner was required.

Recently (and quite unexpectedly) we retired.  My husband suffered a serious fall with numerous injuries, so I closed our business and am settling into a new phase of life helping him recover.  This very question--whether or not to continue buying more jewelry--has become a matter to contemplate.  I still wear my everyday pieces, but find myself wondering if the expensive and "dress up" kind of jewelry will have a place in my life anymore.  Dunno what the answer is, but meanwhile I am lusting after J355622.  Must be something wrong with me.

Respected Contributor

I cut way back on buying any new pieces.....Its a challenge getting enough use out of what I have as it is, since we retired. I do try to wear more of it when we travel.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonderful topic.  I love jewelry and have way too much.  I am starting to cull and deciding who will inherit very precious stuff.  I think I know who will inherit what.  Between my DD, DIL, GD, and GS’s future wife, there will be treasures for all.  Of course, my GS is only 11, and GD turning 6.  My GD loves jewelry - must be genetic.  No more jewelry for me, as my lifestyle is now such that outside the House outings are mainly to doctors.  DH bought me expensive things once our kids were out of college, so it would break his heart if I gave away these pieces now.

Respected Contributor

I rarely buy jewelry anymore. I have more than I really need and I only wear it when I go out on Saturday to shop. I bought a ton from QVC when I was getting divorced 20 + years ago (therapy shopping, I guess), but now it would have to be really eye catching to me to be bothered purchasing. Now I just shop my own jewely box.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I used to order so much jewelry.  When my husband was alive he'd buy me beautiful, expensive jewelry for every occasion.

But I turned 72 last year.  I have 8 grandchildren (7 living).  Some are teenagers, 6 granddaughters.

That said, they have entirely different tastes from me.  They used to come over when they were young and put all of it on (playing with it).

Now they are busy with their lives, but I see what they wear and it's very little jewelry.  When they do wear it, it isn't anywhere near like I wear/have.

My daughters don't wear much jewelry at all.  I've almost stopped buying jewelry because I know no one is going to be wearing it.

How about you?  Have you stopped or slowed down ordering jewelry?

I still buy some but it's mostly for the grandchildren.

@Annabellethecat66

I have had a life-long love of jewelry! Anything sparkly or shiny.  Cheap or expensive!  Since I was a very, very small child.  I have so much jewelry that storage is a problem! I recently retired and my only lament is that I will have much less occasion to wear all my pretty baubles! I got some nice new things for Christmas but now I am thinking --- why should I keep wanting to get more jewelry?  But I now something new and shiny will catch my eye and I will have to add it to the collection!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I pretty much stopped buying jewelry after I retired. I have a lot of beautiful gold jewelry that I wore to work on a daily basis (the guards used to call me “the jewelry lady” because I would set off the sensors when I entered the building everyday). Now I keep a small amount at home and store the rest in a safe deposit box at the bank. If I need it, it’s a simple matter of driving to the bank to get it.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a lot of costume jewelry from shoplc for the last 3 years.  I ended up donating a lot of it to a very special resale shop that helps children with disabilities.  I don't plan to buy from them anymore.  I now just look at QVC's clearance jewelry.