Honored Contributor

Have Any Of You Slowed Down Buying Jewelry As You've Gotten Old(er)?

I used to order so much jewelry.  When my husband was alive he'd buy me beautiful, expensive jewelry for every occasion.

But I turned 72 last year.  I have 8 grandchildren (7 living).  Some are teenagers, 6 granddaughters.

That said, they have entirely different tastes from me.  They used to come over when they were young and put all of it on (playing with it).

Now they are busy with their lives, but I see what they wear and it's very little jewelry.  When they do wear it, it isn't anywhere near like I wear/have.

My daughters don't wear much jewelry at all.  I've almost stopped buying jewelry because I know no one is going to be wearing it.

How about you?  Have you stopped or slowed down ordering jewelry?

I still buy some but it's mostly for the grandchildren.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have Any Of You Slowed Down Buying Jewelry As You've Gotten Old(er)?

When I was working, wearing jewelry was prohibited for safety reasons. So now I'm making up for all the years of being deprived!  Bracelets and earrings are what I own most of and I can't wear rings because of my weird fingers.

Regular Contributor

My husband passed away 6 years ago and I ended up selling a lot of jewelry.  I just don't wear it like I used to when he was alive.  My daughter only wears silver and white gold; my granddaughters have totally different tastes than I have.  I gave it long and hard thought, and decided this was what I would do.  Funny thing is, I don't miss any of it.  I kept only a few pieces that I wear, but the rest was not necessary.

Esteemed Contributor

The only jewelry I ordered was from QVC and it was Eterna Gold years ago. In Ted Leach's hey days of beautiful pieces. All other gemstones were purchased by my husband abroad and set by our local jewelers. My other pieces were purchased at two very reputable jewelers (one in Omaha and one in Lincoln), whom we trusted completely.

Like you, I haven't had any new pieces in recent years. Haven't worked since age 51 (now 70). No longer have the busy social live of years gone by. Simply don't have the lifestyle to wear such jewelry any longer. My DIL has no interest. Their lifestyle is much more casual than ours was and their social lives don't involve the formal affairs we enjoyed attending throughout the Midwest (and sometimes beyond).

I'm slowly beginning to sell pieces through Era Gems. You might check their site on-line if you are interested in doing the same. They are reputable jewelers in Seattle, GIA, and very knowledge. Call and ask any questions! They were very helpful when I first approached them. I sent pictures first; they like what they saw. I hesitated for a long time before making the decision. Glad I finally decided to send them some pieces. It's been a good experience if you have time for the right buyer. It does take time. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

IRe: Have Any Of You Slowed Down Buying Jewelry As You've Gotten Old(er)?

[ Edited ]

I've always loved good jewelry and have spent over fifty years of my life buying it.  When I retired and let my hair go gray I switched from gold to silver.  Since I now live in Arizona I now collect really nice N.A. Artisan pieces.  I have two sons and one daughter in law (100% Navajo) and two young grandsons.  My DIL loves N.A. jewelry (I'm starting to buy her some and she has bought some nice pieces herself).  Eventually she or other Son (or his wife if he marries) or Grandsons will split my jewelry.  I buy for me because it brings me pleasure; even when I don't wear it I like to look at it.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I'm in and out of a lab coat all day so even though I can wear jewelry (in some labs, not all) I'm concerned about it breaking and falling off. 

Much of what I have was my mom's - It has tremendous sentimental value and If I lost it I would be crushed. 

As far as slowing down my purchases...Totally have slowed down.  I think the only thing I've purchased over the past few months were pandora charms for gifts (and of course one for me!) 

I really don't care for many of the styles out there and mom's jewelry was classic timeless jewelry which is really more my style especially as I'm getting older. With the cost of gold and the few places I go that I would wear it, spending more money on it would be foolish. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes and no.  I do have a substantial collection and I don't seek anything new, but if something should catch my eye, and be in the right price range . . .

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Yes I don’t buy jewelry the way I once bought it.

I still purchase CP or AW rings from time to time. They’re not expensive and very pretty.

I hope to leave it with my daughter and son as I have no grandchildren to appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66.  Teens typically like to wear very delicate small jewelry, lots of hearts and fine chains.  As they become older, their taste will mature and they'll appreciate larger pieces.  I'd pick a couple of pieces for each child and leave it to them and dispose of the rest when you tire of it.  Don't forget, your grandson will probably have a wife soneday.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Short answer, yes. Occasionally I'll buy a pair of stud earrings or a necklace I can enjoy wearing every day. And if something costume catches my eye and I really love it. But otherwise no, I don't buy much jewelry nowadays compared to what I used to buy. No longer have the occasions to wear it, and everything is so casual these days. Kinda sad about it. Used to love buying super-nice jewelry like pearls and Swarovski.