Super Contributor

Has anyone here replaced their watch's battery? If so, what tools do you need?

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone here replaced their watch's battery? If so, what tools do you need?

I've never replaced my own but I'd like to know how.  I take mine to a clock shop that will do it for a low price.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone here replaced their watch's battery? If so, what tools do you need?

I never replaced it myself.I take my watches to the local jewelry exchange & for $6 they do it for me.

Trusted Contributor

@pdxlalesley  I change all my own watch batteries.  I purchased an inexpensive watch kit on Amazon, and buy my batteries on Ebay.  Watch a You Tube video that's how I first got started.  Hope this helps.

Trusted Contributor

Wish I could do my own...costs $15-20 here in Portland!

Esteemed Contributor

i considered it last month with 5 dead watches.  Watched a YouTube video - and changed my mind fast.  You can buy the 'knife' to open the watch on Amazon - but then learned it's a very tiny delicate procedure - careful  not touch this spring or that.

Off to the jewelery store I went -

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdxlalesley 

Changing a watches battery is really not a good thing to do.

I't's really better left to professionals.  Any wrong move or bump after you get the back off could ruin the inside, the repair hundreds of dollars.

The crystal may get cracked too.

I worked in Fine Jewelry for 5 years.

Trusted Contributor

I worked part time at a department store jewelry counter for a few years.  One of my jobs was to replace batteries.  I had all of the tools needed for all types of watches, and it was still a delicate job. 

I take my watches it Batteries Plus (don't know if they are a regional store), and purchase lifetime replacement for a bit more than a single replacement.  I have had my favorite watch's battery replaced 3 times already.  It's worth it to me.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@pdxlalesley 

Changing a watches battery is really not a good thing to do.

I't's really better left to professionals.  Any wrong move or bump after you get the back of could ruin the inside, the repair hundreds of dollars.

The crystal may get cracked too.

I worked in Fine Jewelry for 5 years.

@ECBG   Agree 100%.  I have many high quality watches including ceramics.  I wouldn't think of trying to pry open those cases and replace batteries myself.  Maybe if I had a bunch of cheap "Isaac specials".....

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A local jewelry stores replaces my watch batteries.