Honored Contributor

Has anyone had their ears re-pierced recently?

I've never been happy with the placement of the holes, too low. Then it dawned on me the other day, why don't I just get them re-pierced higher? Has anyone done this? Problems? Where did you go?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone had their ears re-pierced recently?

The holes in my ears haven't always been this low.  Heavy earrings and growing earlobes as we age also contribute to this.  A doctor can slit the hole, rough the inside up so that it grows back together and re-pierce it.  My sister-in-law had this procedure done.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi depglass, about 2 years ago I had one of my ears re-pierced.   I always felt that one of my ears was pierced a little off center.  

I went to Piercing Pagoda in the Mall.   They pierced it for me.   I bought a pair of gold earrings there and after they re-pierced the one ear, I put the other new earring in my other ear.  You have to wear the earrings for about 4 to  6 weeks after you have the piercing done.

The original hole in the re-pierced ear is hardly noticeable now.

Good Luck if you decide to do it.  

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Trusted Contributor

A friend of mine has holes on each ear that she felt were too low.

Her solution was to have a hole pieced higher above the existing lower holes. She wears studs in the top hole and various earrings in the lower hole. It looks unique and very cute.

Although there are many piercing areas in the ears these days, she is the only person I know who wears earrings this way.

Super Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

The holes in my ears haven't always been this low.  Heavy earrings and growing earlobes as we age also contribute to this.  A doctor can slit the hole, rough the inside up so that it grows back together and re-pierce it.  My sister-in-law had this procedure done.

Yikes! That sounds terrifying! 😨

Honored Contributor

My first holes are actually a little high. Anyway you want to go to a professional body piercer that uses a piercing needle, not one of those mall stores that uses the gun.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

My first holes are actually a little high. Anyway you want to go to a professional body piercer that uses a piercing needle, not one of those mall stores that uses the gun.  

Maybe I will go there. I had mine pierced again several years ago so I could wear studs in one hole on each side & hoops & other earrings in the other holes. My ears got really sore & I had to take off the earrings. One hole is still open but the other ear it's open in front but not open all the way thru the back. I tried to poke my earring thru but I'm a big chicken. I have one of those kits that has a small gun in it to pierce your ears yourself but I don't think I could shoot it thru the small hole to open the back. I used those sleeper type self piercing errings my first go around. One of those did not go all the way thru the back of my ear either. A friend poked a needle thru it.

Honored Contributor

I am soooo happy that I pierced my own ears! Years ago there were such a thing as "self piercing earrings". I bought myself a pair and the day after I graduated high school I used them. I remember that the hoops were very sharp and were supposed to slowly go through your ear lobe over a length of time. I got overly anxious and just decided to squeeze them through only after a few days! Yep, I pierced my own ears! But at least I have them exactly where I want them. They've never gotten infected. Oh to be young.....  Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Owwww, that sounds painful @luv-the-Q

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Maybe I will go there. I had mine pierced again several years ago so I could wear studs in one hole on each side & hoops & other earrings in the other holes. My ears got really sore & I had to take off the earrings. One hole is still open but the other ear it's open in front but not open all the way thru the back. I tried to poke my earring thru but I'm a big chicken. I have one of those kits that has a small gun in it to pierce your ears yourself but I don't think I could shoot it thru the small hole to open the back. I used those sleeper type self piercing errings my first go around. One of those did not go all the way thru the back of my ear either. A friend poked a needle thru it.

Based on your description, I bet it's still open but has shrunk to the point where it's too small to easily get the earring in. That happened to my second set of holes. Earrings just irritated them every time I put them in. So I quit wearing jewelry in them. Then about 6 years ago I went to a professional body piercer and he used a taper and stretched the holes enough to get earrings in. Since then, I only wear surgical steel or titanium earrings and I've left them in 24/7 ( except for cleaning or changing them) for the last 6 years without any problems. 

You do need to leave earrings in for about a month or two after having them stretched. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval