Honored Contributor

HSN's "Gemstone Enhancement Chart"

They just showed their little blip about their "Gemstone Enhancement Chart" and how 'some stones just need a little extra care'. Then 'make sure you visit our chart to see how we determine our enhancements and the chart on how we enhance'.

OK, now I remember why I stopped ordering at those low prices. When the prices got low I stopped.

It just didn't make sense. What is it some of you people said, "It is set in mystery metal?" No wiser words were spoken.

Respected Contributor

Re: HSN's ""Gemstone Enhancement Chart""

Most gems here are enhanced also. The disclaimer is at the bottom of the page.

Note: All weights pertaining to diamond weights are minimum weights. Also, many gemstones are treated to enhance their beauty and many colored cultured pearls are color-enhanced. Click here for important information on permanence and any special care requirements.

Super Contributor

Don't assume treatment means inferior stones. Most gemstones are routinely enhanced. Heat treating or irradiation bring out better color. For example, blue topaz is all heated, no matter where you buy it from. With the rare exception of really costly stones, blue, red, green, yellow, and black diamonds are irradiated. (You can get some natural colored champagne, mocha, or pink at medium price points.)

There are some stones that aren't treated, but not lots of them. Garnet, peridot, and chrome diopside are examples of natural untreated.

I don't like to buy the new quartz doublets or triplets, where it's slices on top of each other, or dyed stones.

Without treatments, we'd have little choice in stones, and they'd be $$$.

Trusted Contributor

It depends on the enhancement. I don't mind some heat to bring up the color, but I don't want "fillers", glass and oils added into stones. You even have to watch out for diamond purchases - and I'm not talking about those tiny diamond accents.

Do the math.
Super Contributor

If you want a gemstone that hasn't been enhanced, YOU need to source the gemstone from a reputable source - then choose a setting. Think investment purchase over impulse or convenience.
Buying pre-set gemstone jewelry on shopping channels that are mass-produced is impulse or convenience, not investment. Think about insurance value ...
Not saying the shopping channel jewelry isn't really pretty, just depends on how you want to spend your money.