Respected Contributor

Re: HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@nomless wrote:

Yay! I just changed a watch battery myself. I found I have a screwdriver intended to be used on eyeglass arm scr3ws that is small enough to pry off the back of the watch. I got a battery at the grocery store. I've never changed a battery myself; I had no idea it was so easy to do. The trick is having the right tool to get the back off.

@nomless  - I have one of those tiny screwdrivers somewhere.  Your post has motivated me to try and do it myself.  Thanks for letting us know how easy it can be!

@San Antonio Gal 

Where the back meets the watch, look for the very narrow slot in which to put the tiny screwdriver. Twist gently to rpy the back off. That slot can be hard to see on some watches. Also, I think some watches have backs that scr3w off; if that's the case, the prying method won't work.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

That is correct about Walmart. They no longer change watch batteries unless you bought the watch from Walmart. I checked 2 Walmart stores in my area in the last month, and since the watches I took in are not a brand that they carry, they wouldn't do it. They both said "our policy changed".....I now go to a Clock/Watch repair place and was charged $10/watch. Yikes! The jeweler suggested that I keep the stem pulled out on the watches that I don't wear very often....makes sense.

Honored Contributor

I take mine to WalMart.  Just had 3 replaced at $6/each

My jeweler wanted $12.

Honored Contributor

I recently paid $17 at Macy’s watch shop to get a new battery.  However, I took my Swatch watch to the Swatch store & a new battery was free (for the life of the watch!).

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My batteries seem to last for a couple years, unless I put them in the drawer.  Then they all die, a conspiracy amongst themselves, no doubt.  I pay 10.00 at the jewelry store and 4.00 at Walmart.  Walmart is a little queasy about doing Ecclissi watches.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just google Walmart and read they no longer change watch batteries unless that brand watch is sold by them.  Who knows what's true.

I always had my batteries changed at Walmart but they stopped doing that a few years ago. I had to pay $25 for my ceramic watch battery and I was ticked off.  Sadly, we were traveling and I had no choice or time to shop around.  Don't know who I will go to next time.  I have five watches in my jewelry box with the stems pulled out so if I'm lucky I won't have to get new batteries.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I take mine to WalMart.  Just had 3 replaced at $6/each

My jeweler wanted $12.

Walmart stopped changing watch batteries a few years ago but if you purchased them there they will.  If you didn't purchase yours there what state do you live in that still does it?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Bubbles219 wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@gellen  That's about right for the jeweler to change the batteries out. I took my Isaac watch to a jeweler because the back is ceramic, but usually I go to WalMart because they only charge for the battery (about $3-4) and nothing for labor. I've never had a watch damaged at WalMart ~ they do well.

Thanks for the info~ will try to remember WalMart the next time I need batteries for my watches.

I'm assuming you read that Walmart stopped putting in a battery unless you purchased the watch from them.  In case you didn't, now you  know...I always took mine to them, now I have to find someone else. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

I inherited what I thought/assumed was a sterling silver watch.  When I got the battery changed the jeweler charged me $20.  I faint.gif

Jeweler told me the watch was 99.9% pure platinum.  Ifaint.gifagain.

Many years ago I purchased an Ecclissi(sp) watch from QVC that is supposed to be sterling silver, I may very well be in for a big surprise.  Incidentally, isn't platinum better than sterling silver?  My engagement and wedding rings from my first marriage were set in platinum, they were more expensive than 14K gold and sterling silver.

Honored Contributor

Nothing.  I have had my Gucci since 1997 and bought a special battery guarantee from my local jeweler the first time I took it in to have the battery replaced.  Watch was a gift from my younger brother so I did not mind buying this service from our local independent jeweler.  So over 20 years later going to see a centuries old jewelry family in business since the late 1800's and getting free batteries. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."