Honored Contributor

Re: HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just google Walmart and read they no longer change watch batteries unless that brand watch is sold by them.  Who knows what's true.

@Harvard99  - Coincidentally I recently went to Walmart for a battery change and was told that they would only change the battery if I had purchased my watch from them.

Someone told me to go to a battery store, but I wasn't aware that battery stores would replace my watch battery.  So I think I will go to Batteries Plus and get it replaced there after reading this thread.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I don't think there should be a charge for changing a watch battery for a customer. 

Usually merchants pay for advertising to get customers in the store.  This is one way to get customers in the store for nothing.

If a business charges to install a new battery in my watch, I will not do business with them.  

Have you heard the saying, "It's the little things."  (That's what keeps me going back).

@Sunshine Kate ,

Yeah, but if you go in the store only to get free stuff, the store won't be there long. The store needs to make money to stay in business.

Fair is fair....if someone does work for me, like changing a watch battery, it is fair for me to compensate him/her with money for the time spent doing the work and thr expertise that I don't have.

Do you take that point of view with all companies? For example, McDonald's should give you a free sandwich, if they don't you won't go back? If not, what's the difference between the watch battery place and the restaurant? Why expect free stuff from one and not the other?

Agree with you @nomless.   Also, I wouldn't feel right going into a place of business, having a service done for me and not paying anything.   

Respected Contributor

Yay! I just changed a watch battery myself. I found I have a screwdriver intended to be used on eyeglass arm scr3ws that is small enough to pry off the back of the watch. I got a battery at the grocery store. I've never changed a battery myself; I had no idea it was so easy to do. The trick is having the right tool to get the back off.

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just google Walmart and read they no longer change watch batteries unless that brand watch is sold by them.  Who knows what's true.

That's true at my  Walmart, they won't change a battery unless it's their watch.

They must have ruined someone's watch in the past.

if anyone pays $10 to have a battery changed, the jeweler should do a little basic maintenance as well, remove dust, polish the crystal.

I don't wear a watch anymore but the battery watches are too high maintenance.  I used to replace the batteries myself, even that was annoying.    I'd love to have a wind up watch.    I still have one, you set it and wind it up every morning, kept excellent time.

And whatever you do, don't replace batteries in all your watches at the same time!

They all die at the same time.

Esteemed Contributor

Did it this weekend -- $15 at jewelry store down the road. I didn't buy watch at store. They cleaned, dusted, changed, put in new battery. Went to Walmart first and that's no longer an option. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I love wartches and right now it seems all my batteries are going down at the same time.  It got me wondering how much you pay for a watch battery change?  My jeweler currently charges 10.00 per watch.  Thanks ! (Just Curious!)

I go to a battery store and I buy the battery usually around 7 or 8 dollars and they put it in.  No extra charge.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@gellen  That's about right for the jeweler to change the batteries out. I took my Isaac watch to a jeweler because the back is ceramic, but usually I go to WalMart because they only charge for the battery (about $3-4) and nothing for labor. I've never had a watch damaged at WalMart ~ they do well.

I have had batteries changed at Walmart during the recent past, but the last time I went, they literally destroyed an old QVC watch that I really liked, so I probably won’t go back for a while.

I have three OLD Gucci watches that I take to a local jeweler for batteries, and I pay $20 EACH to have the batteries replaced, but thankfully, not too often. Gucci cleverly developed “special” equipment for their timepieces back in the ‘90’s, so they can’t be opened simply. I’m glad I have someone who can and will work on them.

I sure would love to find someone who was both reasonable and reliable, but I’m still

looking.

@violann :  This is the same thing I encountered with my Michele watch.  Not a simple exchange.

Honored Contributor

I always paid $10.00 at an area jewelry store but sadly they went out of business this past Christmas Eve. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Try Batteries Plus stores. They have single time replacement and lifetime . Prices reasonable and they do so quickly. Many places won’t touch them if not purchased there.
Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

Yay! I just changed a watch battery myself. I found I have a screwdriver intended to be used on eyeglass arm scr3ws that is small enough to pry off the back of the watch. I got a battery at the grocery store. I've never changed a battery myself; I had no idea it was so easy to do. The trick is having the right tool to get the back off.

@nomless  - I have one of those tiny screwdrivers somewhere.  Your post has motivated me to try and do it myself.  Thanks for letting us know how easy it can be!