Honored Contributor

Re: HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

My jeweler charges $10., but when I take in a bunch of them, they give a price break.  Ask your jeweler if they'll cut you a quanity deal.  I have many ceramic watches, expensive ones, and would never attempt to change their batteries myself.  They're too easily broken.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have several Judith Ripka watches and the last time I had the battery changed it cost me $18.00!  Too much but I really don't have the tools or the know how to do it myself.  There used to be another jeweler  who charged $10.00 but they retired and no longer are in business.

Frequent Contributor

I pay $3 at a jewelry store in my neighborhood.

I also have a lot of watches, but when they're in my jewelry box, I pull the stem out so the battery isn't used.  Of course you have to set the time again when you wear it, but I'd rather do that than go to the jewelry store. 

Honored Contributor

I've never taken any of my watches in just for a battery replacement! I have always just done it myself! So easy. I go to my local Meijer grocery store to buy the battery I need ($2.99), put it in, boom....done! I'm a very frugal person by nature, I can't see spending money on something I can do myself for free.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@gellen  That's about right for the jeweler to change the batteries out. I took my Isaac watch to a jeweler because the back is ceramic, but usually I go to WalMart because they only charge for the battery (about $3-4) and nothing for labor. I've never had a watch damaged at WalMart ~ they do well.

I have had batteries changed at Walmart during the recent past, but the last time I went, they literally destroyed an old QVC watch that I really liked, so I probably won’t go back for a while.

I have three OLD Gucci watches that I take to a local jeweler for batteries, and I pay $20 EACH to have the batteries replaced, but thankfully, not too often. Gucci cleverly developed “special” equipment for their timepieces back in the ‘90’s, so they can’t be opened simply. I’m glad I have someone who can and will work on them.

I sure would love to find someone who was both reasonable and reliable, but I’m still

looking.

Respected Contributor

@Bubbles219 wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@gellen  That's about right for the jeweler to change the batteries out. I took my Isaac watch to a jeweler because the back is ceramic, but usually I go to WalMart because they only charge for the battery (about $3-4) and nothing for labor. I've never had a watch damaged at WalMart ~ they do well.

Thanks for the info~ will try to remember WalMart the next time I need batteries for my watches.

Recently I was told by a Wal Mart employee that they only change batteries for watch brands they carry at their store.  A few years back they would change batteries for any brand and at reasonable prices.

Respected Contributor

I don't think there should be a charge for changing a watch battery for a customer. 

Usually merchants pay for advertising to get customers in the store.  This is one way to get customers in the store for nothing.

If a business charges to install a new battery in my watch, I will not do business with them.  

Have you heard the saying, "It's the little things."  (That's what keeps me going back).

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I don't think there should be a charge for changing a watch battery for a customer. 

Usually merchants pay for advertising to get customers in the store.  This is one way to get customers in the store for nothing.

If a business charges to install a new battery in my watch, I will not do business with them.  

Have you heard the saying, "It's the little things."  (That's what keeps me going back).

@Sunshine Kate ,

Yeah, but if you go in the store only to get free stuff, the store won't be there long. The store needs to make money to stay in business.

Fair is fair....if someone does work for me, like changing a watch battery, it is fair for me to compensate him/her with money for the time spent doing the work and thr expertise that I don't have.

Do you take that point of view with all companies? For example, McDonald's should give you a free sandwich, if they don't you won't go back? If not, what's the difference between the watch battery place and the restaurant? Why expect free stuff from one and not the other?

Respected Contributor

While here in FL, had a price quoted as $10....I told him “ Too much “, shook my head and turned to leave.  He asked me how much?  Told him $ 6...OK and he changed the battery.

At home, I found that the kiosks and storefronts were really raising their prices... $9-10/ battery.  That is when I decided to give away all the nonessential casual watches I had collected.

If the battery in your keyless remote fob goes, the cheapest replacement has been at the car dealers: $9.95.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

My jewelry store charges nothing, but if you feel like giving money to their children’s charity you can.  They only take cash for that and you have to put it in the jar.