Trusted Contributor

Re: HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

@Lavenderjunkie  I keep my inexpensive watches in one tarnish free watch box.  I find myself hardly ever wearing them anymore so I used that tip about pulling out the stem that I got from someone else.  I wouldn't do that with a watch I wear frequently. 

I think with having the time on our phones, the watch business has probably suffered immensely.  I don't see many people wearing watches.   I hardly see QVC present watches, come to think of it. 

I have a few excellent quality watches that I never wear so they're in a box in the vault.  I bet those batteries are dead for sure. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I change watch batteries myself.  My Dad showed me how to do this many years ago.  I buy batteries on Amazon mostly.  They cost a dollar or so when purchased in multiples.

Regular Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@gellen  That's about right for the jeweler to change the batteries out. I took my Isaac watch to a jeweler because the back is ceramic, but usually I go to WalMart because they only charge for the battery (about $3-4) and nothing for labor. I've never had a watch damaged at WalMart ~ they do well.

Thanks for the info~ will try to remember WalMart the next time I need batteries for my watches.

Honored Contributor

I inherited what I thought/assumed was a sterling silver watch.  When I got the battery changed the jeweler charged me $20.  I faint.gif

Jeweler told me the watch was 99.9% pure platinum.  Ifaint.gifagain.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

It's about $15.00 here at the watch counter at the mall.

Trusted Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@gellen  I have paid $10 to $15 here depending on where I go and how desperate I am for the watch to work.  Just fyi, I read that if you pull the setting stem out when are not using the watch, the battery does not run down.  My DD replaced 5 batteries in her and her husbands watches and the batteries lasted for many years by doing this. Yes you have to set the time but no big deal.

I only pay 4.00 at my jeweler, if you do pull out the stem, be sure that its kept in a box. I was told by my jeweler that by doing that,  sometimes dust can get in through the stem and affect the mechanisms 

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I change watch batteries myself.  My Dad showed me how to do this many years ago.  I buy batteries on Amazon mostly.  They cost a dollar or so when purchased in multiples.

Same here but it's my husband who does it. I have a jillion watches so we had to find a way. He did order a jeweler's kit for around $15 or so and then the batteries typically cost around a dollar or less. He's always changing out a battery for me...I am thankful he can and does. Before he started doing it, I usually paid $8 per watch at the jewelers. I knew with the number of watches I had that was not gonna work. The only watch he won't tackle is an expensive (and beloved) Omega watch that belongs to him. We have it done professionally.    

Respected Contributor

When a watch battery dies,  it's more likely to leak.   When this happens it often ruins the watch movement.  It can happen within a short time after the battery stops.   It has happened to me on 2 expensive watches.   The movements had to be replaced,  they could not be repaired.  

If you pull the stem and a battery is dead,  you won't know it.  Another reason that pulling the stem puts your watches at risk.

Honored Contributor

I pay 0 because the policy at Tourneau is batteries are free of charge if you purchase your timepiece there....

Esteemed Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie  Have always taken my watches to my jeweler because I trust them! You post gave so many other great reasons! Thanks. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.