Trusted Contributor

Re: HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

@gellen  I have paid $10 to $15 here depending on where I go and how desperate I am for the watch to work.  Just fyi, I read that if you pull the setting stem out when are not using the watch, the battery does not run down.  My DD replaced 5 batteries in her and her husbands watches and the batteries lasted for many years by doing this. Yes you have to set the time but no big deal.

Honored Contributor

I've gone from having many watches down to the few I really like and wear often.  I do take mine to a local jeweler who replaces batteries for $8 -  and they do that whether it's a cheapy watch or something expensive.  There's a flea market shop that does it for less, but if I have no other reason to go there, it's not worth the time and gas money.

I know I did 3 at nearly the same time last summer, so I expect I'll need to replace those 3 together whenever.

Trusted Contributor

I gently pull out the stem in between wearings and the batteries last so much longer.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

$10  I don’t have time to shop around.I only replace a couple a year.

Trusted Contributor

@sueinsf wrote:

I have the same problem.  Several watches all stopped at the same time.  I think I pay about $10 too, although I've been quoted more for a ceramic watch.  Used to be Macy's would do it reasonably but last time I went in there I think they quoted me $20!!

I went to "Fast Fix" at our local mall to replace a battery for a watch I bought on Amazon (that I really liked) for $18.  They wanted $20 for the new battery so I walked out, bought a new watch from Amazon and now know alternatives to Fast Fix when the battery from my NEW watch wears out!!

Honored Contributor

I'm not much of a watch collector, but I was at one time to an extent.  However, I got tired of having to replace batteries, so I switched to Citizen's Eco Drive watches.  No more batteries to worry about.  Love the watches.  I have two for everyday and one for dressier occasions.

Respected Contributor

I own many watches and battery replacement is a big maintenance issue and can get costly. $10 for a bettery change by someone who has the skills to do a good job is a good price.    Through lots of experience and talking with several skilled watch makers, I believe the following to be the best way to go:

-  Have your batteries changed by someone who knows what they are doing if you care about that watch.  There are many things to consider here.... damage to the case and movement, proper reseating of the back (and seals, if any) to maintain water resistance levels, use of proper battery,  and overall proper handling of watch to avoid dust and moisture from entering the case.

A cost of $10 per watch for a battery that probably will last at least 2 years is a small amount of insurance to be sure the job is done properly.  Batteries for high end watch will cost more.

Jewelers will generally have fair prices for battery replacement.   They want to cultivate your business so you will buy something in their store... if not today,  then next time.  A mall kioki or store that just replaces batteries has to charge enough to cover all their expenses by doing the  batteries and straps.  $20 is not unusual,  and it's a rip-off for the level of their expertise.

- For modern watches pulling the stem may extend the battery life by a very small amount.  (Remember even a flash light battery will go dead even if you never turn the flash light on).  But... you are putting the watch movement in danger if the stem is out.   Moisture and dust can get inside and ruin the movement.  Replacing a movement is expensive,  replacing a battery is very inexpensive.  And often,  unless it's a very valuable watch,  if the movement needs replacement, the cost of the labor,  not to mention the replacement movement,  is not worth doing the job.   So the watch is trash.

Also,  the stem is a very fragile part of the watch.   If the stem is pulled out it can be damaged either in the pulling and pushing or if the watch rests ( or falls) on the stem during storage. .  Another expensive repair.

If you have a large watch collection,  take the good and better watches to someone who knows what they are doing.  For the inexpensive watches,  you can decide how much risk you want to take when finding the least expensive way to have batteries changed. 

Trusted Contributor

I go Batteries Plus. They charge around $8 for a new battery including installing it.  You also have the option of paying about $14 for a lifetime battery replacement. I did that with a favorite watch, and have already had the battery replaced twice since the original $14.  They place a sticker on the battery, so you don't need to keep a card for proof. I bought the watch at least 10 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I found a local small jeweler to change two watch batteries last week. $5.00 each. 

Ten dollars per is not uncommon. I have a lot of watches, so that's too much for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if this is true, but I was told not to pull out the stem to stop the movement and preserve the battery life. Was advised that the movement needs to move continuously to run long and well. Do not want to take any chances with my good Swiss movements.