Super Contributor

HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

I love wartches and right now it seems all my batteries are going down at the same time.  It got me wondering how much you pay for a watch battery change?  My jeweler currently charges 10.00 per watch.  Thanks ! (Just Curious!)

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: HOw much do you pay for a watch battery to be changed ?

Pardon the typing error. .  Obviously mean watches

Honored Contributor

We don't pay to have our batteries changed.

When I worked at Zales late 70's early 80's they did not charge anything to change them.

I think $10 is a rip-off just to change the battery. If you bought it from that jeweler he should not charge anything.

Honored Contributor

It's like light bulbs in the house; when one burns out, they all burn out.  I haven't a watch battery put in a few years and it was $10.  Now I need batteries in 4 of my watches and probably in my white ceramic watch too.  That's my summer watch so I haven't worn it since September.  Watch batteries are one of those things that price doesn't matter, I need the batteries.  I have to pay whatever they charge.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen  That's about right for the jeweler to change the batteries out. I took my Isaac watch to a jeweler because the back is ceramic, but usually I go to WalMart because they only charge for the battery (about $3-4) and nothing for labor. I've never had a watch damaged at WalMart ~ they do well.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

A battery store here does it for free. You pay 9nly f9r tbe cost of the battery. It's about $5, I think.  A bsttety store is probably less expensive than a jeweler would be..

Honored Contributor

I collect watches.  Many of them are the wind up type and I have a few that are self winding kinetic. I love kinetic watches, no batteries needed and no winding every morning.

When I need to replace a battery, I buy a new one for a few dollars at Walmart and replace them myself.

I have a jewelers kit that includes everything to size a watch band and open the back of a watch.  I do my own watch maintenance whenever possible.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.  Several watches all stopped at the same time.  I think I pay about $10 too, although I've been quoted more for a ceramic watch.  Used to be Macy's would do it reasonably but last time I went in there I think they quoted me $20!!

Trusted Contributor

I just google Walmart and read they no longer change watch batteries unless that brand watch is sold by them.  Who knows what's true.

Valued Contributor

We have a battery place that we deal with.  I love watches and probably have around 20.  They usually go dead at the same time because I forget to pull the stems out.  Battery place charges around 2-3 dollars a piece.  My jeweler charges me nothing but I wouldn't impose when I have several that need done, especially since only a few are from him.  $10.00 is too much I think.