Valued Contributor

Re: HOw does the gold toned steel jewelry hold up?

I've got several pieces, and the only one that has had any wear is a rolling ring. I have bracelets, necklaces and rings. None have any wear, and I wear them often. I also have a gold plated SBD watch that has held up beautifully. I wear it whenever I need a gold-toned watch. Looks great, just like when I bought it. Love the stuff!

Regular Contributor

I have many gold tone earrings from this line. I have been wearing them for the last many years and they still look new with no scratches, dents or tarnishing. I highly recommend.
Honored Contributor

JMO, I think all clad jewelry will chip or fade. I've never had any that didn't.

Respected Contributor

In my experience, it doesn't hold up that well. I have a wide band ring that scratched badly first time I wore it. Also a pair of stud earrings where the gold came off the post the first time when the clutch back was put on it. Necklaces and earring with different closures may be fine, but anything subject to any sort of abrasion might not be the best choice in any clad jewelry.

Trusted Contributor

There is a difference between "gold tone" and "gold plated." Gold tone usually means it's just a coloring or base metal. Gold plated means that it's plated with 14 or 18k gold over steel.

It's good to see, that in most cases, the finish has stayed on. I guess my next question would be if the gold tone color is brassy or does it look like 14k?

Valued Contributor

I have many gold and rose pieces from Steel by Design and they have lasted for years with no signs of wear and tear. The gold isn't exactly like 14k -- a tad richer, yet not brassy.

Valued Contributor

I am currently wearing a SBD gold plated tubogas bracelet next to an 18k plated Veronese bracelet. The 18k is a bit deeper color, but they both look real. Next to 14K, the SBD looks exactly the same.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Earrings...yes they held their color. Thumb ring...no, it's now a steel thumb ring that started gold. But it looks fine and I wear it every day and am VERY hard on my jewelry due to my job.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth