Super Contributor

HOw does the gold toned steel jewelry hold up?

Does the color fade or chip away to the steel beneath?

Regular Contributor

Re: HOw does the gold toned steel jewelry hold up?

This would be a very good thing to know. In addition, is the color like 14 or 18 gold?
Respected Contributor

I have always wondered this too. I bought one piece of gold plated over sterling a long time ago and it did not last long before the silver was peeking through. Never bought anything like that again.

Honored Contributor

I ordered Steel By Design omegas, a rose and yellow, two or three years ago. I don't wear them every day but they still look great. I always clean them after wearing before putting them away. HSN's Technibond works well for me also. I have pieces that are probably fifteen years old and still look great. If you wear it every day it would probably wear off sooner, but with the price gold it's worth it to me.

Respected Contributor

I have had no problems with my steel by design with the gold color, have had a few pieces for several years but like others, aren't things I wear every day or for long periods of time. For me though I think they are great and must be pretty good since I can't wear sterling silver, I take the finish off, turn it black and it turns my skin green so, turned to stainless or epiphany coated sterling and of course don't live it in but, back to the gold color stainless, really like it a lot. I have an ankle bracelet(set of 3 stretch) in the gold color(came with a rose color and one all plain stainless color. I put the gold tone one on when I got it 4 years ago and haven't taken it off since, shines in gold like the first day I put it on. The back of it is all stainless color though.

Trusted Contributor

I have a set of Steel By Design oval hoops in yellow gold. I wear them at minimum 3-4 days out of the week in my extra piercings. I've had these for about 4 years. It was the first Steel By Design purchase I ever made. They still look as nice as the day I purchased them.

I also wear my Steel By Design rose gold hollywood hoops to death and they are still good as new as well and I've had those for over 2 years.

And since earrings don't take a beating, I did want to say that I have a bangle set that is 2-3 years old that is tri-colored. No problems there either, and I'm wearing one of those at least every other week.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

No problems here.

Super Contributor

wondering abt this as well.

Super Contributor

A Steel By Design rose gold plated collar necklace I purchased on impulse when it was a Lunch Time Special has held up surprisingly well. I wear the collar several times a month with a green turquoise pendant I own set in copper...

Honored Contributor

I bought one piece about 2 years ago, maybe 3. I bought it on clearance, it was a necklace. It didn't last long at all, the gold wash started rubbing off after wearing it something like 10 times. I didn't care because I didn't pay much for it and I thought of it as a lesson. The lesson being......don't buy the gold "plated" steel.