Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum So sorry that happened to you. I had a similar experience with an Eterna Gold earring that I love. I was lucky as I found it undamaged, but I know now that I cannot wear hoops with a mask. I am sticking with lever backs. I have no issues with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@1Snickers   @Shanus    One of our local TV stations did a story last week on a woman who is making masks with a clear plastic inset over the mouth area so the hearing disabled could read their lips.  Look around, you may be able to find something similar.  They were nice looking and well -done too.

@Kachina624   I saw them on a news program. The problem is, they wouldn't be for me but for everyone else! A nurse invented one when a deaf man wanted to be with his wife when their baby was born and was afraid he wouldn't hear. He could read lips just fine. 
  I depend upon lip reading which is hard because people turn away. Impossible with masks. 

Honored Contributor

When someone has difficulty hearing, it's particularly hard when they're also at least six feet away AND wearing a mask. Even stores have put up plastic barriers in front of the cashiers and their voices are muffled. I'm doing OK most of the time, but sometimes do have to ask the person to repeat what they asked. It's frustrating after hearing perfectly wearing my hearing aids. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I discovered one of my gold earrings I almost never remove was missing and thought, yep probably pulled it off with the mask.  I looked everywhere.  About a week later I found it in my gravel driveway of course flattened.

The real bad news; I probably bought these simple gold 18K hoops 20 years ago from QVC.  I thought I'm ready for a new pair. OMG, the price of 18K gold earrings is unbelievable now. 

I now wear none except when I need to, and also said heck with the makeup.

I'm with you - not wearing earrings to go out. You can probably make some money selling the damaged set of earrings to help cover the cost of replacement or do what I did and buy a pair that are 14K over sterling.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Shanus  I only wear one hearing aid now due to the left  ear being so bad it's not helpful. I've found the right one unattached and hanging from the elastic. 
 With others wearing masks I can't read lips so usually just leave it in the car. Even with it when others wear them they have to do charades for me to understand. 
 Masks block sound waves. 

@1Snickers That's awful!  I don't wear or need hearing aids (my 93 year old mother is very hard of hearing and has been wearing hearing aides for more than 20 years so I understand) and this wearing of masks is making it very hard for those who are hard of hearing.  Even I've experienced a few times when it's difficult to understand what someone is saying behind a mask.

Yesterday I went into a small shop to order then pick up something...it was very nosiy in there and I found it difficult to understand the clerk behind the counter with her face covered up.

@Shanus  As for earrings, I still wear my hoops and glasses but I think one more item to the mix (like the hearing aide) is one more too many and I would probably forgo the hoops if had had hearing aides too. ...how frustrating!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   Yes, definitely back to a small stud earring. In fact, I chose an inexpensive silver ball stud just in case it gets lost I won't be devastated. I definitely put my diamond studs and any other expensive earrings away. Trouble waiting to happen. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOOPS AND MASKS

[ Edited ]

I've also heard of people having their stud earrings go missing when they take off their masks. I've decided no earrings for me when we go back into the office on Monday. I have long hair, so it really shouldn't matter that much.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

No more earrings for me since we wear masks at all times at work except while eating and drinking. They hook on every kind of earring I have, even studs. I miss them.

Mint

Honored Contributor

I really never gave this issue a thought and have been wearing masks since March. When this incident happened, I realized how lucky I was not to have lost many earrings. 

Valued Contributor

I haven't had a problem.  I wear medium size hoops and a mask sometimes.  I carefully remove the loops around my ears and its never a problem.  I don't have elastic on my mask, mine is more like a bungee cord with a thing you can adjust.  Just make sure you carefully remove it and don't just pull it off.  Maybe just pull the mask down from your nose when you leave the store and then remove it when you are seated in your car because if the earring comes off you will be able to find it.