Respected Contributor

Re: HOOP EARRING PREFERENCE

[ Edited ]

Snap bar or hinged so the post through the ear clicks back into the hoop.  Never a "J-hoop" with a post and butterfly clutch, ever ever ever!  Those get my long hair through them, then bang, they get pulled out and lost, and another half-pair of earrings goes into the junk metal bag to be sold for scrap!  I'll only wear complete circle hoops, ever, I've learned my lesson very thoroughly, no matter how cute or pretty a J-hoop is.  ETA:  A post and omega back hoop works best, but those are few and far between, and always more expensive.  Judith Ripka used to do those a lot, I have a few of hers, most comfortable weighty earrings I've ever worn.

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Snap bar or hinged so the post through the ear clicks back into the hoop.  Never a "J-hoop" with a post and butterfly clutch, ever ever ever!  Those get my long hair through them, then bang, they get pulled out and lost, and another half-pair of earrings goes into the junk metal bag to be sold for scrap!  I'll only wear complete circle hoops, ever, I've learned my lesson very thoroughly, no matter how cute or pretty a J-hoop is.  ETA:  A post and omega back hoop works best, but those are few and far between, and always more expensive.  Judith Ripka used to do those a lot, I have a few of hers, most comfortable weighty earrings I've ever worn.

@CamilleP  Now that my hair’s so short, I also have to consider how the earring is finished from the back. I used to love the omega backs, too, but now there’s too much metal showing from the back. 

Honored Contributor

The reason I like these locking clicker-back hoops is because the hinge is at the bottom of the hoop, integrated into the design so it's not noticeable. The release-button makes them super secure because you have to push down on the tab to take them off. There's no way to lose them.

download (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

Neither, I wear captive bead ring hoops

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

That's a good consideration, Shanus.  I got radical a couple of years ago and cut my hair off in a pixie cut, and it looked just as awful on me as any short haircut ever has, so I admitted defeat and grew it out again.  Now most earrings don't even show!  Short hair can be a real opportunity to show off the gorgeous jewels, congrats for carrying it off well!

Respected Contributor

Those look interesting, SilleeMee, where do you find those?

Honored Contributor

Only omega backs. 

The only place I've ever found exactly what I wanted is Dress Barn so I bought several pairs in different sizes and some "gold" and some "silver."  

I'm in good shape for hoop earrings.

Honored Contributor

I prefer not to show the piercing, but I wear and enjoy both.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't care for J hoop earrings with the post and clutch, but other than that, it doesn't matter to me.

Trusted Contributor

I have some of both.  Earrings that cover the piercing, some that don’t.  When I dress up, I prefer those that cover the piercing.  Casually, either works for me.