Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I've had green amy as well as sold it.  It's part of the quartz family.  Any "sheer" stone like green amy, blue topaz or the like will eventually absorb soap and will turn milky like a creamsickle.  It can't be steamed out.  The stone is damaged.

Respectfully posted @ECBG  that may be "diffused" stones certainly not all sheer stones. I have owned many blue topaz and aquamarines over the years and not one of them have turned milky. I worked for Tiffany's and full disclosure would be mandatory if that were the case, Never once did I see anyone with an issue with milky stones.

@Trinity11 Oh my goodness!  I got the shock of all time one evening!  A woman came in that had bought a $5,000 Levian green amy and dia ring.  She didn't take the ring off even to wash dishes!  It looked like the antique milk green glass!  After she left, I asked the gemologist "what on earth had happened to the stone?" and told her the story.  That's when she told me about care of semiprecious stones.

It's really too bad.  Levian does guarantee the main stone for life, but I don't know if it would cover abuse, and that may have been.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I've had green amy as well as sold it.  It's part of the quartz family.  Any "sheer" stone like green amy, blue topaz or the like will eventually absorb soap and will turn milky like a creamsickle.  It can't be steamed out.  The stone is damaged.

Respectfully posted @ECBG  that may be "diffused" stones certainly not all sheer stones. I have owned many blue topaz and aquamarines over the years and not one of them have turned milky. I worked for Tiffany's and full disclosure would be mandatory if that were the case, Never once did I see anyone with an issue with milky stones.

@Trinity11 Oh my goodness!  I got the shock of all time one evening!  A woman came in that had bought a $5,000 Levian green amy and dia ring.  She didn't take the ring off even to wash dishes!  It looked like the antique milk green glass!  After she left, I asked the gemologist "what on earth had happened to the stone?" and told her the story.  That's when she told me about care of semiprecious stones.

It's really too bad.  Levian does guarantee the main stone for life, but I don't know if it would cover abuse, and that may have been.

@ECBG  If the gemologist told you all sheer stones turn milky, she was wrong. I have my GIA and this is incorrect information. It was probably a diffused stone or it was abused and worn inappropriately. Quartz does not absorb soap...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG  If the gemologist told you all sheer stones turn milky, she was wrong. I have my GIA and this is incorrect information. It was probably a diffused stone or it was abused and worn inappropriately. Quartz does not absorb soap...

@Trinity11 Respectfully, you're totally entitled to what you learned.  I, my self had one turn milky (not a Levian, I would have died!!!), a year after I bought it because I didn't take it off when I washed my hands.

Honored Contributor

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but putting a stone in hot soapy water should not be considered abuse.  We aren't talking boiling, your hands are comfortable.  Dishwashing liquid is sometimes recommended to clean stones.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but putting a stone in hot soapy water should not be considered abuse.  We aren't talking boiling, your hands are comfortable.  Dishwashing liquid is sometimes recommended to clean stones.  

@depglass, it happens to diffused stones. It is not something that happens to quality stones sold at reputable jewelers.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't know how many carats Kate's various green amethyst earrings are. But they sure are beautiful and I love the color 

• kiki-mcdonough-green_amethyst_yg1.jpg398591560_orig.jpg

I love this shade of green.  Kate who? Spade?

Kate Middleton. She always wears green amethyst 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I ordered this Effy ring on Macy's site today. It's currently selling on the Effy site for $332.50.  20% off that price promo.

I got the last one from Macy's, with the sale price and 20% off that it came to $159.19. 3.90 carats, 18 karat gold and sterling. I wanted a really nice ring that I could look at and enjoy the stone. Have never owned anything from Effy. Hope I love it, I think it was a great deal. Original price on Effy site was $475.

effy-jewelry-irl0c546a4_760x740.jpgeffy-jewelry-irl0c546a4-3_760x740.jpg

Honored Contributor

I love this Effy pendant that's sold out on their site

hpsc8146il_760x740.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 Wow!  What a great buy on that ring! How fun you got a beautiful piece of jewelry and got a bargain, too!

It seems that since I saw this thread, now I'm seeing prasiolite everywhere! 

Honored Contributor

I received the Effy ring today, I am so in love with this ring. The stone is so beautiful. In the sun it sparkles like a diamond. The color is perfect, not washed out and not olive...it's a perfect sea/minty green to my eye. Size of the stone is perfect for me, love the setting.

My ring finger is a 7, that was the size of the only one left. Because of weight loss that's a bit big for me now. And this ring is a bit top heavy. So I put some of that clear plastic sizing on the bottom of the band.

What a bargain on this ring. If I could find an Effy prasiolite pendant for that kind of bargain I'd love to treat myself for my birthday months from now. Or Christmas.