Honored Contributor

Re: Got some gold today J357277

@songbird wrote:

They only had one hour of all gold.  The gold earlier was with diamonds (I already had several of those pieces) and gemstones, and I have plenty of those and better from Gem Shopping Network. But I love this necklace and looking forward to it.

I wasn't expecting any 18K and there obviously wasn't.  I'm getting used to accepting 14K but there is a still big difference, especially with the colors white and rose gold.  Some of the 14K yellow gold is now starting to look a little like 18K. It's tough going back to 14K when you are so used to 18K, but now the cost is the factor.  And at least it won't tarnish....

They have 18 and 24k on Shophq.  Pricey but pretty to look atSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

They only had one hour of all gold.  The gold earlier was with diamonds (I already had several of those pieces) and gemstones, and I have plenty of those and better from Gem Shopping Network. But I love this necklace and looking forward to it.

I wasn't expecting any 18K and there obviously wasn't.  I'm getting used to accepting 14K but there is a still big difference, especially with the colors white and rose gold.  Some of the 14K yellow gold is now starting to look a little like 18K. It's tough going back to 14K when you are so used to 18K, but now the cost is the factor.  And at least it won't tarnish....

Yep.  I someitmes get 18K there.  I still can't bring myself to buy the 14K white & rose.  Really awful colors compared to 18K.  Not enough gold in the mix to make it look richer. We Italians dislike 14K and don't consider it gold (the way Americans look down at 10K)   My mother was shocked after coming here and seeing 14K.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Yep.  I someitmes get 18K there.  I still can't bring myself to buy the 14K white & rose.  Really awful colors compared to 18K.  Not enough gold in the mix to make it look richer. We Italians dislike 14K and don't consider it gold (the way Americans look down at 10K)   My mother was shocked after coming here and seeing 14K.  

We Italians wear our 14K gold proudly.

You Italians can purchase as much 18K rose and white gold as you desire!

Honored Contributor

I can't look at someone wearing gold and tell whether it's 14 kt or 18 kt gold.  It all looks the same to me.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I can't look at someone wearing gold and tell whether it's 14 kt or 18 kt gold.  It all looks the same to me.

It is not the same.  In content or appearance.  Ask anyone from outside the U.S.  Although in recent years, 14K yellow gold has gotten closer to 18K in color, the 14K white and rose still has a long ways to go.  Worldwide the standard in gold is 18K.  Only in the U.S. is it  14K (In the UK, gold is either 9K or 18K)  Also 14K feels different then 18K in weight. Even if you didn't know which is which, you could tell the difference by the weight.  18K feels denser and heavier in identical gram weight. 14K is 58%. 18K is 75% gold.  10K is 41%.  It's what you are used to.  We are used to 14K.  So our gold jewelry is almost always 14K.   18K is more valuable.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I can tell sometimes.  My hands would automatically go to the less *yellow* coloration--which is the 14kt.  They usually tout 18 kt as *buttery*.  I'm not a butter lover....lol

Don't care what others *worldwide* think of me and my 14 kt.  I guess it's screams:  Yes--I'm American!

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

We Italians dislike 14K and don't consider it gold (the way Americans look down at 10K)   My mother was shocked after coming here and seeing 14K.  

Italians don't seem to dislike 14K enough to not make money selling it to Americans, though, do they?

Honored Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@songbird wrote:

We Italians dislike 14K and don't consider it gold (the way Americans look down at 10K)   My mother was shocked after coming here and seeing 14K.  

Italians don't seem to dislike 14K enough to not make money selling it to Americans, though, do they?

Oh yes.  Why can't they make any money?  They make 14K for Americans.  It gets shipped there. You can wear 14K in Italy, but it doesn't mean it's gold.  And it's not just Italian.  France, Germany, you name a country and 14K is not produced to wear there, only for export. The minimum standard outside the U.S. is 18K.  In the middle east 18K is lowest gold content you can wear.  But most of the gold is 21K, or 22K.  In India there is 18K sold inside the country, but most people wear 22K or 24K