Esteemed Contributor

Gold chains by the inch on cruise lines

I am fully aware that the chains by the inch are not pure gold or even 24 carat.  However I had a credit on my last cruise and bought a very dainty gold chain... 17 inches.  I do wear it and enjoy it.  But I came across some information by accident that said all these shipboard deals were a scam.  That the chains had no value at all.  Now I am wondering if I  was taken.  I expected some value other than my enjoyment or its look. I might just have to settle and never buy again.  I WAS GOING TO ADD TO MY COLLECTION NEXT YEAR but now I do not know.  I was on one of the Royal Caribbean ships.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Gold chains by the inch on cruise lines

You do not say the carat of your chain.

The carat should be stamped on the chain.  Sometimes on a small tag - 14k, 24k etc.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing.  They added the clasp to the chain that was on a roll.  There  were about 10 different designs.  I chose the most daity one. But I guess that is the answer.  No numbers, no indication on it.  So I GUESS I JUST BOUGHT PRETTY with no value. Cannot imagine I did not catch it. Oh well, I guess I will not pair it with a longer one next time around.  I am always sooo careful.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

I am fully aware that the chains by the inch are not pure gold or even 24 carat.  However I had a credit on my last cruise and bought a very dainty gold chain... 17 inches.  I do wear it and enjoy it.  But I came across some information by accident that said all these shipboard deals were a scam.  That the chains had no value at all.  Now I am wondering if I  was taken.  I expected some value other than my enjoyment or its look. I might just have to settle and never buy again.  I WAS GOING TO ADD TO MY COLLECTION NEXT YEAR but now I do not know.  I was on one of the Royal Caribbean ships.  

-----------------------/

Pure Gold would be 24k. There's nothing higher than 24k.

It would be unusual, for a chain, I'd think especially on a cruise ship,to be actual 24k Gold. For one thing, 24k, is so soft, not a lot of jewelry is done in it.  And it would be extremely expensive.  

The chains by the yard, that I've seen various places, are not karat Gold, they're 14 or 18k over sterling silver.  Were these chains sold as being karat Gold? 

If you love it, wear it, and didn't pay some wildly exorbitant price for it, I'd let it go. Some of the plated chains, vermeil, etc., are very pretty, and look quite real, especially the daintier styles. They're not going to have the value, or, be as durable, as karat gold, but, if it's fashion jewelry, nothing wrong with that. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "key word" is Gold ---- not 14KT, 18KT or 24KT. Just gold color. I wouldn't trust buying gold or expensive items on a cruise ship. Years ago, I bought a 14KT gold pendant that had a couple of stones on the front - at a hotel in Las Vegas. As soon as I got home and wore it, one of the stones fell out and got lost. I also realized that I overpaid and I never wore it again. Another time, I bought a 14KT gold charm at a hotel near my house. I got scammed there as well. They had a guy with a temporary booth selling it. 

These places depend on tourists -- and they know people will leave and then, they're gone!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is probably just gold color.  Very pretty, different types of gold beads, some frosty and some shiny.  NO markings.  It was part of  a display the last day on the cruise.. a whole line of tables with different items.  I had a cruise credit.  It was $4 an inch with $4 clasp... 17 total inches. I did not break the bank but I started to wonder about it this evening.  Stuck in the house since Thursday.... 30 inches of snow and the plow hasn't arrived YET.  In any case I will not buy again but this one just looks good.  I will enjoy it. 

Honored Contributor

There are no bargains on cruise ships but if they sold it as real gold,  that's what it should be.   A jeweler could test it.   I have seen them sell phony gold and gemstones on ships.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I was on a cruise about 10 years ago and purchased a necklace from that company (it may have been another company).  It broke and I was able to get a new one for free because of the guarantee.  They have a website.  However, on another cruise last year the chains were very expensive per inch.  Not worth the money to me for plated jewelry.  It's not 10K, 14K, etc. or sterling silver.  Just fashion jewelry, not worth much. 

Honored Contributor

I have been on many cruises and look forward to the special gold by the inch sales.  I have gotten necklaces, bracelets and anklets and have been very, very happy with all of them.  I am not buying them as "investments" but as good quality, which they are, costume jewelry.