Honored Contributor

I was going through some old papers the other day & saw my receipt for a 14kt gold bracelet with lapis ends on the clasp I bought from Q in 2003 for $168. It was almost 10 gr of gold.

Trusted Contributor

Those were the days, weren't they!!

Respected Contributor

I can relate.  I have 2 nice, heavy, 14K bracelet that are decades old.  New, I gotta think they are several hundred dollars each.  No way did I spend that much on them.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@NightowlzYep -  gold cost about $413 on the commodity markets then.  Those of us who shopped QVC during those days and bought our classic gold wardrobes were living in lucky times.

I rarely even look at gold nowadays -  here at the Q or elsewhere. I do sort of watch the market price of gold with the idea that one of these days, I'll sell off the pieces I no longer wear.

Respected Contributor

Yes, these were good times.  They spoiled us with a never ending array of beautiful gold and gems.

Respected Contributor

yes...me too. I had a friend who went to hawaii in the 90's and she was a veteran of the "swap meets" that were held there. For the 240$ I sent with her to buy me a few chains, she returned with two, diamond cut solid...not hollow chains. One 18" and one 24" and they are beautiful. Gram weights were 11 grams and i forgot  what the other one is but they are substantial. What a huge bargain never to be done again. I dont wear them as often as I used to but I will never sell them.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We were very lucky to have experienced purchasing gold back then. I sold a bunch of smaller pieces of gold about five years ago to pay for a mri of my doxie's nose. I had cash to spend and cleared out pieces I rarely wore. I kept most of the things I wore most and still wear. Funny, but I do not wear most of my jewelry as often now, so I decided to get it out to enjoy while I can. It takes an effort to put jewelry on and off as I now live on a farm and do not want to lose my jewelry in the pasture!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Those were the good old days. Doubt we will ever see them again.

It's a nice bracelet & I still wear it. Looks just like it did when I bought it. I have had the lapis ends fall off the clasp twice. I had it repaired at the jewelry shop Zales uses. 1st time it cost me $6, 2nd time it was $12 for the blue lapis stone.

Respected Contributor

I'm with you ladies on lamenting the loss of those days when 14K was under $20 a gram.  I have a Mirawheat IG bracelet that I love and would never consider buying it now at the current prices. (Anyway, couldn't find it anywhere but the bay because IG is out of business.)

I notice that my younger co-workers don't wear any yellow gold - it's all white metals.  The engagement/wedding sets are in white gold or platinum.  The fashion jewelry is all white base metal.  I'm sure they look at my pieces and think they're outdated.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Gold Jewelry Prices

[ Edited ]

I bought huge amounts of heavy Italian gold jewelry back whe gold was at 100-200 dollars a gram.... Most of ot from value vision( shop nbc/ evine live today).I had one necklace that was 90 grams alone!  Most pieces were 20 grams and up.  I sold it all when gold peaked at its highest price a couple years ago and made a small fortune!  Now that is my retirement nest egg!  I kept just the pieces I liked the best. I had a ton of it.