Respected Contributor

Re: Getting past being center of attention with large engagement ring

@Glorimar 

What do you call "substantial" 

Respected Contributor

I think we have to accept that times have changed. It's a good idea not to be a target. Not for theft, or even workplace jealousy.

I, too, kept jewelry at a minimum in my work environment. But, if out with work friends, that was a different situation. 

I personally wouldn't wear very expensive jewelry on outings e.g., vacation, or among a crowd of strangers. I'd save them for small social gatherings among family and friends, or anywhere where I'd feel more secure.

If your coworkers are close to you, supportive and it feels right, wear your ring with pride and enjoy it. Just remember to always trust your gut feelings. 

Honored Contributor

In today's world, lots of people hate anyone who has more than they do, so be ready for what people think of you.

Not saying right wrong, but it's ok to hate on people for what they have now days.  Some people think it's fine to steal something if you don't have one.  I am amazed at what gets by these days.  And it's OK with many. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

In today's world, lots of people hate anyone who has more than they do, so be ready for what people think of you.

Not saying right wrong, but it's ok to hate on people for what they have now days.  Some people think it's fine to steal something if you don't have one.  I am amazed at what gets by these days.  And it's OK with many. . . 

@Sooner  Fortunately this is not happening around here. Stealing or hating. Are you talking about people who go into stores and grab and run? Again not here but I've seen it on the news in cities. Is this stuff happening by you?

Trusted Contributor

@Glorimar  I think you should wear what you love. To heck with other people. Just my opinion. Your husband spent a lot, I'm sure, on the ring. "maybe" he would feel bad if you didn't wear it.

It depends where I am, but I roll my engagement ring to the palm of my hand. I still wear it. I'm very aware of my surrounds though. Like a mall parking lot or out for a walk. On vacations, remember vacations before Covid? LOLWoman WinkWoman LOL I never even wore my rings. Left them all home for safety. Hubs would leave his ring home too. We know we are married. LOL

I say go with your comfort level. If the ring causes anxiety for you because it is so big and people will be coveting it, try to adress that with yourself and be strong. No one has the right to make knock you off balance in your thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are a professional and all other employees are also well educated employees, I doubt anyone would feel jealous. Most people in the professional world find happiness for things and good fortune acquired by others.

If they knew how unhappy you were by not wearing your engagement ring, I'm confident they would be disappointed you didn't think more of the friendship developed in your working relationship. Please give them a chance to prove they are better people. 

Only small people care what others wear, have, drive, or where they live. In the broad scope of things, as longs as everyone has a roof over their head and food to eat the rest of it does not matter! It's simply individual choices.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Glorimar wrote:

I have a substantia engagemen ring and since I don't like being the center of attention I tend not to wear it. Instead, I wear my wedding band which has some diamonds on it. Any tips on how to get over the feeling of calling attention to myself when I wear my engagement ring again, especially since I haven't typicalloy worn it to work, for instance?

It seems like a lot of fuss over a ring. If I thought that it was pretty, I would compliment you and move on. Not everyone cares what size diamond you own. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I wear what I like.  I would look like a child with a large diamond.  I have tried them on.

Respected Contributor

@Glorimar I understand your reluctance to wear your engagement ring to work. People can be very petty and resentful. You know your work environment better than any of us. If you feel you shouldn't wear the ring don't. If you have a warm, caring group of people who will not begrudge your having nice jewelry, then wear it with pride. Today's world is not the world that I enjoyed back in the day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you really want to wear a large stone engagement ring, just wear it.  If people tend to grab your hand and gawk, that will wear off once they have seen it once.

Today, people assume that large stones are fake.  There are so many people wearing large stones that no one bats an eye anymore.

C2F2C1CF-6675-49FB-8A74-624256A4F821.jpeg