Respected Contributor

Re: Gemstone Experts! What is this?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Definitely not turquoise, especially if it's inexpensive.  It's so shinny,  it looks like a very hard, polished stone.  My guess is a dyed agate, granite or marble.

Light blue-green with earth colored matrix in it, looks like turquoise. It looks opaque and agate is translucent and banded. It doesn't have quartz and mica crystals like granite. Doesn't look like metamorphosed calcite either.

Valued Contributor

My guess would be amazonite. Relatively inexpensive. 

Beautiful stone! Love this look

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Definitely not turquoise, especially if it's inexpensive.  It's so shinny,  it looks like a very hard, polished stone.  My guess is a dyed agate, granite or marble.

@Kachina624   I've had some highly polished turquoise stones. The best way, is to take it to a jeweler...preferably a gemologist. 

Honored Contributor

Could be amazonite. Could be turquoise.

Honored Contributor

Lots of variety of turquoise in just Nevada.17B43C99-F70B-4ACC-A561-D095F6214A3C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never seen Amazonite with matrix, so I wouldn't think it's that.

It's strung with what appears to be freshwater pearls, so it could be turquoise (not all turquoise is that expensive).  Or it could be howlite dyed to look like turquoise.  Howlite is often dyed and it does have a similar matrix to turquoise.

You don't say where you bought it or if it's new or secondhand.

(Just had another thought:  it could be magnesite.  Magnesite can be dyed and is very often used as a cheaper substitute for turquoise.)

Valued Contributor

I thought maybe an agate.

Respected Contributor

Looks like Chinese Turquoise to me....lots of it hitting the market and very affordable.

Image result for chinese turquoise

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Looks like Chinese Turquoise to me....lots of it hitting the market and very affordable.

Image result for chinese turquoise

@silkyk   That looks almost like the Chinese turquoise I have...still think it's a good guess.

Honored Contributor

That is definitely turquoise, if it is an antique piece it would be from the long shut down Bisbee Turquoise Mine.  That mine had the turquoise with the gold through it.

Its a beautiful stone and necklace wear it with pride!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)