Respected Contributor

Re: Gem experts should tell the truth

@geegerbee 

I'm glad you brought this up to educate all of us - thank you!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The video is available for all to watch for item J368182 and at 3:10 is when Jeff describes the ruby.

I completely stand by my interpretation of his statement and respectfully disagree with the OP.

I also disagree that cabochan stones are always more low quality than faceted stones.

Gem cutters can choose to cut a stone into a cabochan to preserve its weight or highlight a special component, such as a star sapphire.

My husband never buys me jewelry unless I approve it in advance, because he knows that I always do my research.

Honored Contributor

That's what I also have heard about rubies, but I'd never take jewelry advice from Jared's either.  Most of the reviews about the advice and the prices vs. quality arer scathing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To find the best color, I always look at the country of origin first, but I'd have to be prepared to pay the high prices. 

Burmese rubies are the most highly coveted.  As are Ceylon and Kashmir (new no longer found) sapphires, and Colombian emeralds.

None of the colors, ruby, sapphire, or emerald are good colors in these rings. The ruby is much too light and pink.  The sapphires, IMO, are really bad, too dark, dull, and cloudy. The emerald is also dull.  Although, all the stones do come with inclusions, all three are much too cloudy.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

While there may be 2 interpretations on what the guest/host said, one thing I think we could all agree on is for the price offered, these are indeed "lower value" pieces of jewelry, either low quality stones, enhanced or both. Yes, I agree it is a nice way to include precious and semi-precious gems in your collection at a modest cost...as long as the purchaser realizes there isn't much or any resale or inherent value other than their own personal enjoyment of owning and wearing the pieces. These are the shows I miss Jill hosting as I always found her to be positive and uplifting selling jewelry while giving realistic information on what you are getting.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

The video is available for all to watch for item J36882 and at 3:10 is when Jeff describes the ruby.

I completely stand by my interpretation of his statement and respectfully disagree with the OP.

I also disagree that cabochan stones are always more low quality than faceted stones.

Gem cutters can choose to cut a stone into a cabochan to preserve its weight or highlight a special component, such as a star sapphire.

My husband never buys me jewelry unless I approve it in advance, because he knows that I always do my research.

@FancyPhillyshopper A gold ring comes up with that item#.  I would love to see the video.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hookedonq wrote:

While there may be 2 interpretations on what the guest/host said, one thing I think we could all agree on is for the price offered, these are indeed "lower value" pieces of jewelry, either low quality stones, enhanced or both. Yes, I agree it is a nice way to include precious and semi-precious gems in your collection at a modest cost...as long as the purchaser realizes there isn't much or any resale or inherent value other than their own personal enjoyment of owning and wearing the pieces. These are the shows I miss Jill hosting as I always found her to be positive and uplifting selling jewelry while giving realistic information on what you are getting.

@hookedonq   I don't purchase jewelry for resale value. You never know its worth when you decide to sell anyway. I purchase pieces I'd like to wear and enjoy. Since I wear only silver, most pieces are somewhat affordable if I were in the market to add to my jewelry collection. I really have more than I need. 

Respected Contributor

J368182
Precious Gemstone & White Topaz Sterling Silver Band Ring

Honored Contributor

Just my opinion.  Rubies/Sapphire & emeralds don't belong in silver and white topaz, white zircons, etc.  They belong in 14K (at the very least) 18K, platinum.  Diamonds on gems should be set in gold.  Better diamonds traditionally are set in 18K & Platinum.  Also included are the exotics, like Tanzanites and Pariabas.

Semiprecious are fine in sterling.  And instead of diamonds, white zircons & topaz.  And as cabochons.  

I also think Burma rubies and rubies from other places are just as good.  The pigeon blood color appears in any of them.  Myanmar did a good PR job with their rubies.

Kashmir sapphires were and still are unique and are never heated.  No need to. They are gone from that mountain that collapsed during an earthquake.  But I'm sure plenty of them are still up in Himalayas.  But Pakistan & Kashmir are dangerous places. No mining there.  In their own country the correct name is Kasheer.