Trusted Contributor

Gem experts should tell the truth

I was watching QVC2 and Rick was on showing a double row ring of Rubies. The "expert" was on saying that the pink color was more desirable than just red. How wrong. I worked at Jareds and we had a week's training in jewelry before the store opened for business. I have read a lot about gems. In general the deepest most saturated colors are the most valuable except for a sapphire which should be a bright blue, not dark almost black. This is what he should have said about that low quality pink ring.

"Color is the most significant factor affecting a ruby's value. The finest ruby has a pure, vibrant red to slightly purplish red color. In most markets, pure red colors command the highest prices and ruby with overtones of orange and purple are less valued."

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gem experts should tell the truth

@geegerbee you surely do know your ruby.

Yoiu are a b s o l u t e l y correct!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee 

Fact checking the vendors! Love it!

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee    I don't know a huge amount about gemstones but I've spent a lifetime studying, buying and admiring turquoise and do know a good bit  about it.  The lies I have heard told on TV shopping about the infamous Sleeping Beauty and other turquoise have boggled my mind.  I would never buy it from TV; won't even watch it.  It's so easy to research any kind of stone, it's hard to understand why people are so willing to pay their hard-earned money so trustingly and, often, foolishly for junk jewelry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

And what about absolute lies regarding beauty products?? By vendors and hosts??

Honored Contributor

It's "Buyer Beware".

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee   And sometimes rubies are glass filled which makes them look vibrant but reduces any value.  I think JTV sold them as Mahelo rubies.

Respected Contributor

The expert did NOT say the pink was more desirable than red.

In Jeff's defense, he was explaining how to tell a natural ruby (that was probably only heat treated) compared to a ruby that might be fissure filled.

He was explaining that pink may come out as a background color to the red in the stones.

Remember, there is a very fine line between rubies and pink colored pink sapphires!

QVC has never sold fissure-filled rubies to my knowledge, although many other vendors do.

Finding high quality bright red (clear) rubies today is very difficult.  I shop everywhere and I have rarely seen them.  The last high quality rubies I bought were from Thailand back in the late nineties. (I do not shop at Jared's, but if I did, I would ask for proof if the rubies had treatments other than heating.)

These budget gem stone rings are good values for those who cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars for a similar style ring with higher quality stones.

I appreciate that Jeff, Michele and Nancy have gone through official GIA training and have a very strong knowledge base!

Trusted Contributor

My ears did not deceive me. He said the pink hue of the ruby ring was most desireable rather than bright red. Had nothing to do with heat treating or a created ruby. The stones were very poor rubies. Yes, a true, bright red ruby ring with all those stones would have been very expensive.  As my husband ued to say, he would rather buy me a smaller, better quality gem ring , than a bigger, poor quality  gemstone. And yes, a GIA expert should know better.

Years ago a so-called expert on QVC said about a cabochon ring---buy this because it is rare to see one. Most are faceted. Yes, they are rare, because they are cheaper and not as desireable. ,,,deceptive again.. 

Honored Contributor

It brings to mind that old saying about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.